KVM switches

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
signorMars
re-cappin' neve

KVM switches

Post by signorMars » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:15 pm

i know you can get keyboard/video/mouse switches to use the same keyboard/video/mouse on two computers... does anyone know of an inexpesive way to do the opposite? (use 2 sets of KVM to control one computer?) basically i would like to have my computer accessible in the live room as well as the control room, so i dont have to run back and forth when recording myself.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

rdc
studio intern

Re: KVM switches

Post by rdc » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:04 am

Now maybe I'm being too logicial here, but I don't see any reason why you can't use a standard KVM to do exctally that. The ports are the same on the in and the out, and can't see any reason why a KVM switch would give those ports any "directionality" I would think something like a diode or soemthing would mess with the signal too much (do you really want to knock .7V off every signal).

My advice go somewhere with a good return policy, and buy a KVM (shoulden't be too expensive). Use one of the two sets of cables to connect your computer to the set of ports where you would connect your keyboard and stuff, and connect two sets of moniters and such to the two sets of ports that are labeled for the two computers that you would want to control. You might need to do some gender bending on the ports, it all depends on the KVM. I see no reason why it woulden't work, but if it dosent jsut return it.

Now the real problem that you might run into is losing signal on the cable runs to the remote keyboard and moniter. I know from setting up remote tech tables for light boards that you can run a moniter cable pretty far with no noticible loss of signal (YMMV), but don't know about keyboards and mice. Maybe find an RF based wireless keyboard/mouse combo (not sure if such a beast exists, and if so what its range is.

Rick

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:33 am

this box is designed specifically for your needs. i'm sure there are others out there too.

http://www.networktechinc.com/kmspltpc.html

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:30 am

wow. that box is $400. i think for $400 i can walk back and forth. thanks though! i may give rdc's suggestion a try though...
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:36 am

i know with USB on a mac you can just plug more than one keyboard and mouse in... not sure about switching monitors, though.

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:39 am

i have a pc... but the usb solution might work, since all i really need to be able to do is hit play and record.

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:26 pm

If you have another PC, you can run VNC which will allow you to control your DAW with it. All you need is a network cable. Its like PC anywhere, only free.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:21 pm

I was going to suggest VNC.

Also get a dual video card and turn on the stereo mode. You'll get teh same output on both monitors but one will be polarised differently. This is used for stereoscopic displays but would work find there. Add the USB keyboard and mouse as well and you're rocking.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:31 pm

i do have a spare PC, so that may be the solution. thanks!
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:13 pm

Two more possible solutions:

I think it's possible to have multiple USB keyboards/mice attached at the same time. You just need enough USB plugs to make it fly. Or maybe a USB one and a PS2 one.

Or get an infrared wireless keyboard & mouse, and just move it where it's needed. They'll work through glass.

Byron Jacquot

rob@SigmaDelta
gettin' sounds

Post by rob@SigmaDelta » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:26 pm

You can have multiple devices hooked up including mixing firewire/usb/ps2 all at the same time 2 one computer.

I have 4 mice (2 wireless, one is a gyration) and 6 keyboards (also 2 wireless) hooke dup to my daw for easy access :)

Also had a wacom tablet for a while but I started to get terrible muscle aches from hovering the pen over that damn tablet..
Lovingly signed,
Robert Randolph @
http://www.audio-labs.net