carpal tunnel

I want one so badly....

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:34 pm

rob@SigmaDelta
gettin' sounds

Re: I want one so badly....

Post by rob@SigmaDelta » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:09 pm

Cool stuff.

also must mention if your sig is making fun of bush... there is more than one internet. bush is one of the few public figures Ive seen se the word correctly.
Lovingly signed,
Robert Randolph @
http://www.audio-labs.net

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:51 pm

rob@SigmaDelta wrote:Cool stuff.

also must mention if your sig is making fun of bush... there is more than one internet. bush is one of the few public figures Ive seen se the word correctly.
Are you talking about the I2 initiative? If so, you are making an ass of yourself.

I2 is simply the name for a experimental community extranet. By the very definition, there can be only one internet.
Last edited by Mr. Dipity on Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rob@SigmaDelta
gettin' sounds

Post by rob@SigmaDelta » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:56 pm

sserendipity wrote:
rob@SigmaDelta wrote:Cool stuff.

Are you talking about the I2 initiative?

If so, you are making an ass of yourself.
No. There is more than one internet. most people simply get confused with the www, of which there is only one. An internet is any network that makes use of tcp/ip to exchange data, and there are plenty of these available outside of the www. Most people refer to them as bulletin board systems, and they are the most common means of underground data transmission or other forms of private networking.

It's just semantics, but if you're going to make fun of someone for improper grammar then semantics are fair play.
Lovingly signed,
Robert Randolph @

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:17 pm

rob@SigmaDelta wrote:
No. There is more than one internet. most people simply get confused with the www, of which there is only one. An internet is any network that makes use of tcp/ip to exchange data, and there are plenty of these available outside of the www. Most people refer to them as bulletin board systems, and they are the most common means of underground data transmission or other forms of private networking.

It's just semantics, but if you're going to make fun of someone for improper grammar then semantics are fair play.
Nope, sorry - it's all using the same internetwork, so it's all the internet. Same pipes, same internet. You may be confusing old school BBSs, which weren't networked, with their modern equivalents, which are. ftp isn't 'some other network' either. Nor irc, pop, usenet, gopher or anything else.

My day job is here. We have a whole department dedicated to inventing funny new buzzwords that rhyme with internet.
Last edited by Mr. Dipity on Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob@SigmaDelta
gettin' sounds

Post by rob@SigmaDelta » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:43 pm

sserendipity wrote:
rob@SigmaDelta wrote:

Nope, sorry - it's all using the same internetwork, so it's all the internet. ftp, www, irc, usenet, pop. Same pipes, same internet. You may be confusing old school BBSs, which weren't networked, with their modern equivalents, which are.

My day job is here. We have a whole department dedicated to inventing funny new buzzwords that rhyme with internet.
*sigh* The definition of internet is a network that exchanges data using tcp/ip. This can and does occur outside of "THE internet". That's it. The use of "internets" is proper.
Lovingly signed,
Robert Randolph @

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:46 pm

I have no doubt that's what W was referring to. He's not known for misspeaking.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:51 pm

HuskerDude wrote:I have no doubt that's what W was referring to. He's not known for misspeaking.
Or mishearing, for that matter.

rhintz
audio school graduate

Post by rhintz » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:53 pm

rob@SigmaDelta wrote:No. There is more than one internet.
You may be thinking of an intranet - which is a privately owned network. While it may be part of the internet it's not necessarily connected to it. As far as I know only one internet exists as such the name implies. For more in depth explaination feel free to click below.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=intranet

I just thought I'd throw that out there. Just don't forget now Gore invented the internet... I always found that quite funny.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:08 pm

rhintz wrote:
You may be thinking of an intranet - which is a privately owned network. While it may be part of the internet it's not necessarily connected to it. As far as I know only one internet exists as such the name implies. For more in depth explaination feel free to click below.
Actually, an intranet isn't a little internet, since it's got to be within one organization. A network between two or more bodies that isn't accessible via the internet itself is an extranet. The I2 is an extranet.

However this argument is purely academic: Bush said what he said because he knows so little about his subject matter. He does however, know enough about public speaking not to confuse his relatively tech-unsaavy audience with such minor semantic nit-picking, even if he did assume that there were more than one "internet". Though even in the loosest sense of term in the discussion he was having, there aren't.

rob@SigmaDelta
gettin' sounds

Post by rob@SigmaDelta » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:21 pm

sserendipity wrote:
rhintz wrote:
Actually, an intranet isn't a little internet, since it's got to be within one organization. A network between two or more bodies that isn't accessible via the internet itself is an extranet. The I2 is an extranet.

However this argument is purely academic: Bush said what he said because he knows so little about his subject matter. He does however, know enough about public speaking not to confuse his relatively tech-unsaavy audience with such minor semantic nit-picking, even if he did assume that there were more than one "internet". Though even in the loosest sense of term in the discussion he was having, there aren't.
He's actually used the term multiple times in proper context as I beleived I mentioned early in this thread.

And I didnt called an intranet "a little internet" (or even insinuate it). No need to put words in my mouth :) Nor did I mention I2.

Either way, those controllers look fab. Wish they had HUI emu tho.
Lovingly signed,
Robert Randolph @

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:34 pm

rob@SigmaDelta wrote:
And I didnt called an intranet "a little internet" (or even insinuate it). No need to put words in my mouth :) Nor did I mention I2.
No. Rhintz did.

I2 is the closest thing to an additional internet that there is: a massive extranet (If it became 'bigger' by any objective standards than the current internet, perhaps we would probably have to start calling it 'the internet') but no, he can't have used the word 'internets' properly - it's a misnomer in any situation, and in the context he used it in, plain wrong.

It's become a running joke at my day job - they actually do build the internet here, and I work with more than a few people who have a hand in inventing a lot of it too, to boot.

Not Al Gore though, since he's never claimed to, thought Vinton Cerf apparently thinks he deserves some credit for something..

rhintz
audio school graduate

Post by rhintz » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:57 pm

sserendipity wrote:
rob@SigmaDelta wrote:
No. Rhintz did.
My bad. Although I knew intranets aren't little internets. The whole Gore thing was kind of an inside joke too. So no need to take my stupidity for fact. :wink: BTW: Those Lemur surfaces look pretty interesting. Wonder what type of coin they will be going for. Cheers.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:14 pm

you are both right in a way, here's the real deal.

"the Internet" and "internets" are different. In print, the difference between the two seems slight: one is always capitalized, one isn't. The distinction in meaning, however, is significant. The Internet, with a capital "I," refers to the network that began its life as the ARPAnet and continues today as, roughly, the confederation of all TCP/IP networks directly or indirectly connected to commercial U.S. backbones. Seen close up, it's actually quite a few different networks-commercial TCP/IP backbones, corporate and U.S. government TCP/IP networks, and TCP/IP networks in other countries-interconnected by routers and high-speed digital circuits. this is more than likely what Bush may have talked about and misused Internets. It's hard to tell though, because he didn't explain his punctuation.

now, a lowercase internet, is simply any network made up of multiple smaller networks using the same internetworking protocols. An internet isn't necessarily connected to the Internet, nor does it necessarily use TCP/IP as its internetworking protocol. There are isolated corporate internets, and there are xerox xns-based internets and decnet-based internets. yea yea yea yea.....

the relatively new term " intranet" is really just a marketing term for a TCP/IP-based "little i" internet, used to emphasize the use of technologies developed and introduced on the Internet within a company's internal corporate network. On the other hand, an "extranet" is a TCP/IP-based internet that connects partner companies to each other, or a company to its distributors, suppliers, and customers. much like i do for work, connecting hospitals to various networks of suppliers.

maybe that clears it up. back to hacking and making records.

thenumber
steve albini likes it

Post by thenumber » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:28 pm

who fucking cares? semantics suck ass

back on topic: that touchscreen thing RULES! i use puredata alot, and this would be a dream. probably costs a rediculous amount of money though.