suggestions for Win XP multitracker...

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
mtw
gettin' sounds

Re: suggestions for Win XP multitracker...

Post by mtw » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:53 am

jazz wrote:pro tools le for pc will work with XP, but the software support from digi may be a little sketchy as i cannot say they have come out and officially announced compatibility with the OS.
Digidesign has indeed announced compatibility with Windows XP as of ver. 5.3.1 for the Digi001. (see http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp5/001/ )

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:37 pm

I too say go with Vegas 4. Very easy to use really. Then gradually have a shot at Logic again or something else. Once you understand a little more of what is going on after using Vegas, the others might make more sense. NTrack is easy to use as well, but i dig Vegas a little more.
boom-ptch-boom

mofolotopo
audio school graduate

Post by mofolotopo » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:00 am

Vegas is by far the easiest to learn. I got it with my Delta 1010 a long time ago, and I was using Vegas to multitrack and loving it within minutes. I personally use Sonar now, as I've started doing MIDI stuff and using lots of DXi and VSTi instruments (via an adapter), and I personally can't stand Logic's interface. Drives me insane.

To each their own, though. I understand that for some it may be the opposite.

silversound
takin' a dinner break

Post by silversound » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:00 pm

Not to start a HUGE debate but I can tell you a few reasons that you should not use 2000 for audio. First would be ASPI. Win 2000 was not intended for home use and Microgiant never wrote in much support for multimedia. Secondly almost ALL software companies agree that XP is the OS to use. Go dig through their websites and I bet you will see I'm correct. This list includes Steinberg, Profools, Cakewalk, N.I,Waves and Propellorheads to name just a few. These guys test and test and test.
Also if you don't want the graphics of XP running then just switch to windows classic theme an there you go. Besides the newer graphics cards out there wouldn't even have to break a sweat on such tiny graphics.
All this is not to say that you can't run a great machine on 98, ME, 2000, XP, and soon LONGHORN!!! WHOOT ! WHOOT ! Just don't buy a mac unless you need to spend the dough to spend the dough.
pssst! hey pssst! Want some free software man? I'll throw it in if you buy my hardware.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:09 pm

silversound I couldn't have said it better myself. As for everyone using Vegas, the few times I've used it I found it to be very limiting. I've always felt that if you go with the cheaper or easier to use program or piece of hardware that eventually you will out grow it and will have to go with that more expensive or more difficult program that you originally avoided. While Cubase and Nuendo might be pricer than some of the others and it might take awhile to learn the ins and outs of the program, I think that they are more worthwhile in the long run. Thats not to say that you can't make a great record on Vegas or any of the other programs out there, its all in how you use them and the material being recorded.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:08 am

silversound wrote: Just don't buy a mac unless you need to spend the dough to spend the dough.
Apple is till the premiere media machine, but this is very true. Build a kick arse machine, lay-out the drives properly and your golden. but gunshy already has a bitchin machine :wink:
Last edited by ottokbre on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

silversound
takin' a dinner break

Post by silversound » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:46 am

loudmusic wrote:
Also do you know if there would be any issues with using two monitors with Cubase?

Thanks a bunch.
Marty
No! It works wonderfully. I have used a Matrox G450 for years no with no problems.
pssst! hey pssst! Want some free software man? I'll throw it in if you buy my hardware.