Pro Tools alternatives? Can I only use MBOX or Digi 002?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
newtimer
audio school graduate

Pro Tools alternatives? Can I only use MBOX or Digi 002?

Post by newtimer » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:19 am

Happy Halloween all!

I've decided to buy an Apple Powerbook G4 and install Pro Tools LE. Can I use another interface aside from the MBOX or Digi 002 for Pro Tools? And if so, can anybody recommend any other brands and why? I know the MBOX has Focusrite preamps but I was curious if anybody else had any preferences. Also, my friend has the Mackie Onyx 16 channel mixer. How would I be able to use an hardware mixer like that with my set up if I wanted to?

Thanks in advance!!!

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: Pro Tools alternatives? Can I only use MBOX or Digi 002

Post by maz » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:48 am

newtimer wrote:Happy Halloween all!

I've decided to buy an Apple Powerbook G4 and install Pro Tools LE. Can I use another interface aside from the MBOX or Digi 002 for Pro Tools? And if so, can anybody recommend any other brands and why? I know the MBOX has Focusrite preamps but I was curious if anybody else had any preferences. Also, my friend has the Mackie Onyx 16 channel mixer. How would I be able to use an hardware mixer like that with my set up if I wanted to?

Thanks in advance!!!
Glad you've made your decision...

It sounds like you need to do some reading at http://www.digidesign.com

You can ONLY use Digidesign hardware (002 and 002r, and MBox) for Pro Tools. You can't even legally get PT LE software except with the purchase of the hardware.

You could use a mixer any way you wanted to, but it depends what you want to do. Use it as preamps, monitor through it, use it as a talkback, submix, etc. Any are possible.

Seriously though, you should probably start with some reading about the products themselves, a lot of the answers are there in the literature.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Re: Pro Tools alternatives? Can I only use MBOX or Digi 002

Post by Family Hoof » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:09 am

First of all, I agree with Maz. Do your fucking homework! I've done mine and that's why I'm able to answer your questions here. Some people would charge money for this type of consultation. There are so many people on this messageboard who've deserved to hear this so realize it's not just directed at you.

While you can only use pro tools hardware with PT software, it is possible to use your pro tools hardware with other audio software. If you're asking about the Mackie Onyx firewire option being Pro Tools compatible, the answer is no. If you wanted to use the Onyx as a front end for Pro Tools you'd probably want to buy an 002 to have enough A/D converters for 8 track simultaneous recording. And if you wanted more than 8 analog inputs you could buy any number of 8 converter and/or preamp boxes that terminates in an ADAT optical output since the 002 both have ADAT optical inputs. It all depends on YOUR application which is why YOU should do your own research.
As far as the preamps are concerned, in my humble opinion the 001 preamps were total crap and the ones in the Mbox and 002, despite the focusrite moniker, are nothing to write home about. Congrats on your decision and good luck with the new path you've chosen.