Digidesign admited G5 ProTools DIGI 002 Freeze Up Problem

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
federal donut
gettin' sounds

Digidesign admited G5 ProTools DIGI 002 Freeze Up Problem

Post by federal donut » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:01 pm

I got a dual 1.8 G5 and DIGI 002 rack about a month ago. After getting the run around, i finally got Digidesign to admit that they are having major problems with all second generation G5's locking up. kernel panic madness. Some sort of conflict with OS 10.3.4 and 10.3.5. It will lock up when playing and continue to play though i can't do anything to unlock it except hit the power button in front. It will also lock up when recording as little as one track with no plug-ins. All of this happens at very random intervals and can't be repeated by any specific means. They have a fix, but it didn't do anything. Now i am basically stuck with a non-stable system and have to wait for them to work out the bugs. this sucks big time. I've tested all my ram as well to make sure because it can look like a simliar problem i am told. It is Digidesign's #1 or #2 problem they are working on, or so they say. Unfortunately i am halfway through an album so i have to finish it in ProTools, otherwise i'd dump the stuff in a heartbeat. Beware anybody thinking about getting a similar set-up. One of the ProTools guys asked me not tell anybody! I was cool about it but now i am getting pissed. If they don't have it fixed when i am done with the project i am working on i am selling it and going DP. Damn. Too bad, i like PT when it works. Anybody else having this problem?

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Re: Digidesign admited G5 ProTools DIGI 002 Freeze Up Proble

Post by hogfish » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:32 am

go to the apple support site and download and install the 5.1.4 firmware
update.....this should help you out.........

fillmoresound
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fillmoresound » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:54 pm

donut, i feel your pain. one of the new g5s in the studio hasn't worked well since we got it. exact same problems you are having. of course the apple store contantly gives us shit about our warrantee, troubleshooting, etc and digi has no clue. sometimes buying the 'latest-greatest' can suck.
"Soft and spongy. Like a twinkie. Like a twinkie."

federal donut
gettin' sounds

Post by federal donut » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:18 pm

fillmoresound wrote:donut, i feel your pain. one of the new g5s in the studio hasn't worked well since we got it. exact same problems you are having. of course the apple store contantly gives us shit about our warrantee, troubleshooting, etc and digi has no clue. sometimes buying the 'latest-greatest' can suck.
I reinstalled the operating system that came with the unit (I tried to upgrade but then the computer wouldn't even boot up so i had to!) and updated the bombfactory plug-ins that came with the 002 (they were a version behind and i noticed that things locked up a lot more readily when i was using the bf 76 compressor) and things have been a lot better. it's locked up once on me about 2 days of pretty heavy usage which is a hell of a lot better then it was. I am researching it further and will let you know if i find anything out.