Windows Xp or 2000?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
misterock
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Windows Xp or 2000?

Post by misterock » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:16 pm

Thanks for filling me in. I was thinking about buying a seat.

So XP Home is the way to go?

As we make Bill Gates richer and richer...

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:33 am

I've abandoned XP and went back to Win2K. Too much unfriendly 'user friendly' crap that keeps it busy doing stuff I have no interest in (such as downloading 60 MB service packs in the background).

I've had 4 years of Win2K with very few problems. XP, in the year I used it, had to be reinstalled on average every 3 - 4 months. Twice it was due to instabilities created by Micro$oft Service Packs automatically installing themselves in the background.

I don't know about you, but after the third time, I got to thinking I had better things to spend my time on....
Tangent Studios

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:39 pm

philbo wrote:I've abandoned XP and went back to Win2K. Too much unfriendly 'user friendly' crap that keeps it busy doing stuff I have no interest in (such as downloading 60 MB service packs in the background).

I've had 4 years of Win2K with very few problems. XP, in the year I used it, had to be reinstalled on average every 3 - 4 months. Twice it was due to instabilities created by Micro$oft Service Packs automatically installing themselves in the background.

I don't know about you, but after the third time, I got to thinking I had better things to spend my time on....
You know, that stuff is incredibly easy to turn off, or set up when you need it.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:49 am

im running server 2003 with no problems. i installted some programs in 'compatability mode' so the program thinks its on xp. very fast and stable. theres a post in here somewhere with a link to how to tweek it

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:11 am

I use both, on different computers.

I used to prefer 2k, but I'm really into xp now. Once you turn off the crap, it runs like a dream. It seems to recover from crashes better too, usually isolating them to just the program. Although crashes are rare.

Its also more compatible, in general.. if you're using old apps or old games (designed for dos, or win98) it's a lot easier to get running.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:45 am

I'm fine with XP Home. Classic view, no fancy graphics, balloons, annoying sounds, etc. The XP site listed above gives a good list of optimizations that are risk free.

I even got rid of that annoying little dog. 8)