best free compressor/gate VSTs for learning on

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Phiz
buyin' gear

best free compressor/gate VSTs for learning on

Post by Phiz » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

I'm trying to teach new engineers about effects, primarly compressors and gates. I want them to be able to play around with settings at home, so I've got them setup with some free DAW software that can run VST plugins. Now I'm trying to find a compressor and/or gate VST that will be good for them to learn on. Details about sound quality aren't important here. Standard controls and good metering are important. One of those dBs in vs dBs out graphs would be nice, but is not required.

The Kjaerhus Audio Classic Compressor would be excellent if it just had meters for input level, output level and gain reduction. The Blockfish has a lot of non-standard stuff like auto-gain makeup that I don't want. The Endorphine has better metering, but also has lots of non-standard controls.

I realize I probably won't find exactly what I want for free, but I'd love to hear any recommendations that are closer to what I'm looking for.

mjau
speech impediment

Re: best free compressor/gate VSTs for learning on

Post by mjau » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:12 am

I'd say endorphin may be your best bet, unless you just want to use the free 30 day trial from Sonalksis on their (incredibly awesome sounding) compressor plugs.

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:43 am

Why not give them the free Inspector plugin as well:
http://www.elementalaudio.com/

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:59 am

The DigitalFishPhones compression suite is pr'y one of the better compressors I've used.

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.p ... &subItem=5