embarassingly basic Reason question

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
the brill bedroom
pushin' record

embarassingly basic Reason question

Post by the brill bedroom » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:16 pm

Thhis is so entry level that I can't even bring myself to put it in the Reason thread. Can we starta sticky labeled "caveman analog poeple taking baby steps into digital recording"?

I hate to ask, but how do you make it make sound? I got it with my M Box and I've bought a book called Reason Power and I simply cannot get it to make any sound at all. No loops,. no synths, no nothing. It looks like it could do all sorts of things, but I can't even get a metronome out of it.

Am I terminally stupid or is there some giant off/on button that I'm missing? All i want, really, is to use the Dr. Rex to make some drum loops to record demos over. I probably don't even need the synths at all, just drum thingys.

I just wasn't made for these times.

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: embarassingly basic Reason question

Post by maz » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:58 pm

well, first, make sure you are trying with one of the sample songs, just to rule out a routing thing.

In reason you actually have to route things (mixers too) to an audio out. They aren't naturally routed in some cases.

More likely, you have to set your output in the preferences.

You mention using an MBox- if you have Pro Tools open and then open Reason, it will want to send audio via REWIRE to pro tools, and it will not be set to have its own output.

You would in that case, open a PT session, create an aux track (stereo), disable the aux track input, and put the Reason plugin on that track. Select "stereo output" or something like that and pull the fader up and you should have sound.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:54 pm

Can you get the audio demo that loads up when you start the program to play? If so, at least you know the drivers are working. If not, do you have another soundcard on your computer? If so, that's probably your problem. Reason is sending sound out of that card and not the mbox. In which case you need to change the driver settings. It should be in something like preferences/audio. You'd probably want to use the digidesign asio driver, which should give you the lowest latency with the mbox.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:04 am

Come to think of it, even if your mbox is the only soundcard, you still might have to switch the drivers in the audio settings. Any of the digidesign drivers should work, although the asio ones will give you the best performance.

jasonward2000
audio school

Post by jasonward2000 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:25 am

I just yesterday installed this reason adapted thing or whatever it's called that comes with the m-box on a new i-mac for some folks and reason wasn't outputting audio without being routed through the protools plug-in even when the proper output for mac sound was selected. it didn't even come out of the i-mac speakers, so if that's the same problem you are having follow the first piece of advice up there at the top and it should play fine from within protools...
jw

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:43 am

My advice is only valid if your using Reason by itself, not as a plugin within pro tools. If that's the case you shouldn't have a driver problem, because Reason running in slave mode uses the same driver as the mbox.
hammertime wrote:Come to think of it, even if your mbox is the only soundcard, you still might have to switch the drivers in the audio settings. Any of the digidesign drivers should work, although the asio ones will give you the best performance.