in the market for a new powerbook.....

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
aishabag23
gettin' sounds

in the market for a new powerbook.....

Post by aishabag23 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:45 am

well, reason 3 is coming out and i need to up my ram capacity..... which means i need a new powerbook. i was just curious to see what some of you folks thought would be important components for me to make sure i get when i finally purchase my new laptop. i know i definitely want a 15" with a superdrive.

what are some things i should have in there?

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: in the market for a new powerbook.....

Post by alexdingley » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:17 pm

I went on ebay about 5 months ago, and bought a slightly used (in great condition) 15" PB [ 1ghz, 1gb RAM, 60GB HD, SuperDrive ] for around $1675... and it's a great machine.

Make sure you get a powerbook, and not an iBook. The powerbook has dual monitor display support built in, and they have a PCmcia port for card expansion... if you get one of those FW PC cards, you can really expand your Pbook. they have 1 FW port onboard, but a second would be handy if you are doing anything CPU intensive... then you can add a TC powercore for more DSP... but I digress.

Mine has treated me well... I use it as my Nuendo studio at home and my Reason 2.5 synth with my band. Our entire live show is centered around Reason. I have a USB audio I/O with 4 ins and outs... so a stereo mix of my electronic drums & synths comes out of the 1-2 output, and the 3-4 output is hooked to a headphone distributor. I use reasons mixer to send a discrete click and headphone mix of the other synths to our drummer who then plays his acoustic kit in perfect sync with the software. it's a great setup, and with the 1ghz G4 chip, I have yet to create a sequence in reason that maxes out the system.

Definitely try to put a full 1gb of Ram in it though... very helpful.

and personally, I would not want the newer PB's (1.33+ CPU's) all the newer ones have the data ports located on the side... and if you're doing a lot of connecting to externall devices... it looks really trashy to have a bunch of ports connected to the side.... but that's just my personal feeling on the subject.

cheers!

my web site will have mp3's up very soon of our live / electronic band's demo.... I'd say within a week. I'm taking a break from overdubs right now, and I expect to have some songs posted by the end of the week.

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:14 am

thanks for your input.... i did think about getting a TBook, but i figure if i'm going to get a new computer, i'd like to get a more current model. i'm currently using a 1 year-old 12" ABook (with the ports on the side) and i like not having to turn the laptop around to plug stuff in..... it's all about personal preference, huh?

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:07 pm

i think if you buy 15 inch screen or bigger you'll definitely get a firewire 800 port with it, but if it's optional, it's an option i'd opt for.
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:17 pm

good to know!