rackmount servers for a DAW ??

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
high tek
takin' a dinner break

rackmount servers for a DAW ??

Post by high tek » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:00 am

it seems it would be logical to use the rackmountable servers as DAWs.

i was curious if theres anyone out there that has done this in the past or present, or if there is any reason not to use something like this as a DAW:

http://www.digicor.com.au/products/redi ... SPC-GX28U4
Last edited by high tek on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Re: racmount servers for a DAW ??

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:03 am

high tek wrote:it seems it would be logical to use the rackmountable servers as DAWs.

i was curious if theres anyone out there that has done this in the past or present, or if there is any reason not to use something like this as a DAW:

http://www.digicor.com.au/products/redi ... SPC-GX28U4
I just bought a couple of flat desktops and stuck them in the bottom of a 16 space rack, with a shelf on the top to brace them down. This rig travels all over the place, though I wouldn't send it anywhere where I wasn't pushing it - such as on a plane.

Rackmount cases are overpriced, and usually poorly design in regards to airflow. Furthermore, if you do go this route, make sure you don't get a case with a powersupply included. It won't be quiet.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Re: racmount servers for a DAW ??

Post by Family Hoof » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:51 pm

A reason I can think of regarding the computer linked above is that almost no software on the pro audio market takes advantage of 64-bit CPUs, forcing such proicessors to run in emulation modes (i.e. 32 bit) where they become very sluggish. This includes the major operating systems. Wait a year or two before going 64 bit. Servers can be very noisy. That is a huge factor! Also, many of them require special versions of an OS to take advantage of the multiple processors and the systems in use by most DAW software does not support such technology. Perhaps someone more informed will prove me wrong, but this is what I've heard.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Re: rackmount servers for a DAW ??

Post by spankenstein » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:32 pm

The Opteron and Athlon64 take no hit when running 32 bit code. The AMD64 spec is truly additions to the X86 instruction set.

As to whether the software will work... depends on the software. Windows 2003 for 64 bit is nearing release (or maybe it's released I never work with Windows except on my P4 at home) so that's it for "special" operating systems.

splitpoint
audio school graduate

Post by splitpoint » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:33 pm

One thing to watch on rackmount computers is the depth of the case. Most are too deep to fit in your typical case/equipment rack.

Good luck.

The other Al

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:54 pm

A reason I can think of regarding the computer linked above is that almost no software on the pro audio market takes advantage of 64-bit CPUs, forcing such proicessors to run in emulation modes (i.e. 32 bit) where they become very sluggish. This includes the major operating systems. Wait a year or two before going 64 bit. Servers can be very noisy. That is a huge factor! Also, many of them require special versions of an OS to take advantage of the multiple processors and the systems in use by most DAW software does not support such technology. Perhaps someone more informed will prove me wrong, but this is what I've heard.
Logic 7 is pretty much able to operate multiple processors and G5 processing power to its fullest extent. It has gotten alot better since 6.3.3 where is was a pain to setup multiple processors to work well with each other.

Okay, rackmount servers. You can take Apple servers and put single user versions of OSX on them. I know a few people who use older Apple Servers as their DAW. The only issue is that unless you feel like retrofitting an older rack for different kinds of inputs, the older ones are kind of useless. However, the new Xserves have mutliple ports (like firewire 800-400, and USB 2.0, I'm not sure about PCI support though) and are relatively quiet...........buuuuut they cost a crapton.

I know I sound like an Apple ad. But I really love their products for pro audio.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:52 am

I have one of these cases, and I definitely wouldn't recommend them. Get a small desktop and put it at the bottom of your rack or something.
splitpoint wrote:One thing to watch on rackmount computers is the depth of the case. Most are too deep to fit in your typical case/equipment rack.

Good luck.

The other Al

phill2796
audio school graduate

Post by phill2796 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:26 pm

Rackmount cases are overpriced, and usually poorly design in regards to airflow

No and No
I got a 4u rack for 90.00 450 watt PS fans for the HD and 3 case fans.
I have the back of the rack sticking into the equip room so it is not to loud . Server cases are setup for better air flow than most cases. Lots of room and easy to upgrade and work on. I take it out on location recording also.
Phill
AudioGram Pro
Nashville Tn
Phillp Boshers
AudioGram Pro
Nashville Tn.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:27 pm

http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProduct ... =Go&DEPA=0

I just bought a rackmount case by I-Star and replaced the fans with these and it's quiet!!!

http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html

I also put some of these: http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProduct ... =Go&DEPA=0

and it's even quieter.

You CAN make a rackmount server quiet if you put the right accessories in it.