new ibook or used powerbook?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
johnny5alive
audio school

new ibook or used powerbook?

Post by johnny5alive » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:50 pm

I've been considering buying an ibook for quite a while and ive read through most of the posts on this board about them but im wondering if this is my best option.Im moving soon and a laptop would be nice but is it possible to do decent recording on an ibook? when i went to my local apple store the other day they had several used powerbooks for around the same price as a new ibook. Is this a better way to go? thanks for your time

phait
takin' a dinner break

Re: new ibook or used powerbook?

Post by phait » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:48 am

I had the iBook vs Powerbook 'battle' over a year ago myself, buy new or buy used, etc. I personally don't trust used and I don't care if I get a warranty with it. I prefer new. Plus there is that sentimental opening-the-box-first-boot kind of thing, which is always beautiful ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure what the general thought is on the G4 iBooks, but I wouldn't doubt they could be used well. RAM maxes at 1GB if I'm not mistaken, it has FW + USB 2.0. The newest Powerbooks have a little faster system bus and higher RAM ceiling (2 gb I think).

An extra thought with the PB's is you get widescreen, which is cool but a little useful too. And I generally have a better feeling about the iBook's casing than the Powerbooks - afterall they tout "space-age plastics".

I'm not going to tell you what to get but I believe either would be a good option, just buy new if you can. And at least within a year put down some money for 2 extra years of Apple Care! I haven't had any problems with my TiBook since September 2003 when I bought it, but then again it just sits on my desk! I bought AC though, you never know.

johnny5alive
audio school

Post by johnny5alive » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:41 pm

thanks for the info, much appritiated!

foley
pushin' record

Post by foley » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:50 pm

this is a really good question, and one that I am struggling with right now. I am kind of digging the 12" Ibooks (w/combo drive). I dig the compactness of the computer. Those 14 inchers and (god forbid!) 17 inchers are just too bulky. The 12s are nice.

Let us know what you decide!

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:55 pm

iBooks have a lower amount of RAM. They also don't have a 1/8" audio in or the ability to span displays (i.e. use a monitor as added display -- they can only mirror to a second display).

But if you are just doing audio via a Firewire device, I say go iBook. The G4 chip is nice.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:20 pm

I recorded an album and many full band demos on my iBook G4, 24 tracks going at a time without much trouble. Can't have too many big plugins going at once, but I use them sparingly when mixing anyway. So...
I'm not sure what the general thought is on the G4 iBooks, but I wouldn't doubt they could be used well.
I would agree with. The new Powerbooks have more i/o out of the box, which is convenient, and obviously the RAM adds up nicely, but if you're strapped for cash you can make an ibook work for you--I do.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:27 pm

Logan - what's your recording chain? How many tracks were able to get going in at once? Processing 24 tracks and recording 24 tracks are two different beasts!
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:39 pm

Very true indeed! I am using MOTU 828mkII in for rec 8 tracks at once 24/44.1 (live band) in DP4, then dumping into PT and overdubs with MBox. With my pres (API, Grace, ART, Shure) this has served me very well and I run 24 tracks on PT fine. I use natural reverb (one close, one far) because it sounds so un-bad, so I'll usually have 2 audio tracks for each guitar part, which adds up.
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson