Want to get started, need advice

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
BooRadley
audio school graduate

Want to get started, need advice

Post by BooRadley » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:20 pm

I'm saving up my money to put together a simple, but solid, home recording computer set-up. I'd like to get a laptop because I have limited space, and I will need to do some on-location recording. It will be a laptop dedicated to recording. I have tried to research different recording programs and computers, but there is actually too much information and i'm overwhelmed--i've learned so much i'm incapable of deciding!
I want to be able to record at least 8 channels at a time, and I want a laptop powerful enough to handle it. Compatability with techonology that studios generally use would be good, too (Pro tools?)
If you were going to buy a recording program and a laptop right now, what would you buy?

thanks,
B

np
audio school graduate

Re: Want to get started, need advice

Post by np » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:27 am

I have had good success with a 2004 Toshiba Satellite A75 with P4 3.2 with 1 GB RAM and 80 GB HD. You can get this for around $1300 right now. I use Cubase SE and an M Audio USB hardware product with no issues at all. If you're looking for 8 in's, I have heard awesome things about the Presonus Firepod that has 8 pre-amped XLR ins and is only $600. As for compatibility with studios, Pro Tools is probably best, but you are limited to their particular hardware, so keep that in mind. Good Luck!
without exceptions, there would be no rules

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:49 am

What is the top of your budget. The answers people give you will be very different depending on your budget.

It would be also helpful if you can say a bit about what type of music you plan on recording. Electronic? Lot's of MIDI? No MIDI? How many tracks do you need to record at once?

Be prepared for sticker shock. Its surprising how the costs pile up.

np
audio school graduate

Post by np » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:12 pm

you're definitley right about the costs...
with my laptop, USB device, powered monitors, software, cables, etc., I easliy exceeded $2500...and I only record instruments, no MIDI.
without exceptions, there would be no rules

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:41 pm

Well, if it were me (and I'd be hard pressed to build a studio around a laptop unless I needed a location/field recording tool), I'd get the following:

1. Latest and greatest Powerbook with the biggest screen (max out the ram and get the fastest hard drive along with the bluetooth mouse)

2. Nuendo 3 (you can export to OMF and import OMF for ProTools compatibility and it's a pro solution for both audio and post production)

3. TC Powercore Firewire (with the Sony Oxford plugs)

4. Auto-Tune 4, SampleTank 2 XL, DFHS, BlueTubes Bundle for native plug-ins.

If you are going to be in one place I would suggest either Lavry or Prism conversion (the Prism has the Firewire option card so that would be good) OR if that is too high end, get a MOTU 896HD and you'll have your pre's, conversion, and firewire I/O all in one box.

Make sure you get a nice heavy duty shock absorbing road case to rack your gear if you are going to be moving around a lot. Always protect your gear.

Hope that helps!
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:55 pm

Lavry converters cost, what, 6 grand? Nuendo 3 -- a grand. A powerbook -- 3 grand. Maybe if you're recording Madonna or something -- but for getting started? Get a dell centrino laptop -- probably $1500, less or more depending on your options -- there's a recommended model on the pro tools windows xp le forum -- I can't remember, an inspiron or something. A digi 002 -- $1,200, has the software, pre's, everything you need to record a band -- and isn't a bad deal considering the software's bundled with the hardware.
kittonian wrote:Well, if it were me (and I'd be hard pressed to build a studio around a laptop unless I needed a location/field recording tool), I'd get the following:

1. Latest and greatest Powerbook with the biggest screen (max out the ram and get the fastest hard drive along with the bluetooth mouse)

2. Nuendo 3 (you can export to OMF and import OMF for ProTools compatibility and it's a pro solution for both audio and post production)

3. TC Powercore Firewire (with the Sony Oxford plugs)

4. Auto-Tune 4, SampleTank 2 XL, DFHS, BlueTubes Bundle for native plug-ins.

If you are going to be in one place I would suggest either Lavry or Prism conversion (the Prism has the Firewire option card so that would be good) OR if that is too high end, get a MOTU 896HD and you'll have your pre's, conversion, and firewire I/O all in one box.

Make sure you get a nice heavy duty shock absorbing road case to rack your gear if you are going to be moving around a lot. Always protect your gear.

Hope that helps!

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:08 am

I agree with hammertime but if you want an option other than protools you could go with a Firepod or one of the products from M-Audio as an external converter plus an inexpensive program called N-Track Studio ($75). N-Track isn't terribly strong on MIDI but if you're mainly recording instruments it's a great piece of recording software.

I'm not against protools by any means but there are other good options that will free you from their hardware/software hegemony if you're game to go down a different path.

Here's the N-Track link:

N-Track Studio

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:50 pm

if you go the laptop route, budget for an extra battery (or two). the power supplies in lots of laptops (particularly compaq/hp) can create strange unwelcome noises.

PT sounds like an obvious answer. If tracktion is still free, you could look into that too. search this forum for tracktion and click the link. very cool software. you might orta search the forum for laptop too. there's lots of recommend threads.

Even if your computer comes with onboard firewire, plan on getting a nice pcmcia firewire card. they usually come with multiple ports and are built stronger than the on board variety (mine broke!). most on board firewire ports dont actually have anything other than the pins connecting it to the mother board to secure it. (this is also true for most DV cameras by the way so be gentle.)

will

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:38 pm

Do you really need it laptop? If not everything will end up being cheaper.

If you can deal with it being a PC based DAW read the "Ultimate DAW" thread in this category. You can get a powerfull PC based DAW for relatively little money by following the recommendations in that thread.

I'm just getting it now but ended up with the following:

Dell 400SC Pent 4 2.8gHz server (now discontinued) new on Ebay for ~$300.
1 Gig memory ~ $200.
2 10,000rpm SATA 73gig HDs ~ $175 each
2 19" LCD monitors $320 each
Matrox G450 dual monitor AGP video card ~ $11 on Ebay
So $1500 total for a powerfull computer

Plus:
RME Hammerfall interface ~$500 (although there are cheaper alternatives)
Apogee Rosetta 800 ~$2500 (although the Motu 896 could substitute for this and the RME for ~$900)
Nuendo 2 (although there are cheaper alternatives)

I'm hoping this system will make me really happy. We'll see. Some components have arrived and the rest should be here by the weeks end.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:31 pm

You could definitely build a bigger, better system with more money, and time -- but I think, especially if you feel overwhelmed, you're going to be happy with a digi 002. It's a real solid unit, sounds good. You can always get more stuff later. If you want to upgrade converters, by all means, get something like the apogees, or, gasp, the lavry's. But for a good starter system, the 002 and a laptop will get you going.

toastchee
studio intern

Post by toastchee » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:29 pm

Gotta mention the presonus firepod. It is an amazing piece, and has 8 real pres, 4 more than the 002.

I use it via a PCMCIA firewire card and am blown away by the sound.