Ryan Silva
tinnitus

To little RAM? To much on the PCI Bus?

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:41 am

I am running

Neuendo 2 on
XP P4 2.6 with a
Delta 1010

When I try to record at 24/96 (up from 24/44 which works fine) I get pops clicks and drop outs. I am only running 256mb of RAM which handdles 20+ tracks with VSTs and plug-in galore at 24/44.
I also thought it maybe my PCI bus. It has two PCI Video Cards spaced properly without any noticable conflicts.

Any Ideas?
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

CaptainAdultDiapers
gettin' sounds

Re: To little RAM? To much on the PCI Bus?

Post by CaptainAdultDiapers » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:53 am

256MB of RAM is rather small. Most people I know use at least 1 Gig. I don't think you should hear pops with a P4 2.6.

Why do you have 2 video cards?

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:11 pm

Tonedrone wrote:I am running

Neuendo 2 on
XP P4 2.6 with a
Delta 1010

When I try to record at 24/96 (up from 24/44 which works fine) I get pops clicks and drop outs. I am only running 256mb of RAM which handdles 20+ tracks with VSTs and plug-in galore at 24/44.
I also thought it maybe my PCI bus. It has two PCI Video Cards spaced properly without any noticable conflicts.

Any Ideas?
It's your RAM - 256 megs is tiny.

But there are other considerations

- what latency are you running at? Have you tried increasing it?
- what is your USB load?
- do you have any funky drivers for your mouse? Anything else?
- do you have anything else running in the background?
- what are the video cards?

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:23 pm

If you have an AGP slot you could get an AGP video card and free up your PCI compleley.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:18 pm

I have a very clean system. I think thats why I've been ok with 256. I have all USB conections turned off, and no background programs running ever. I have two video cards for use with two monitors, nuendo is not very compact.

I think that my delta runs at 512 for latency, but I belive that I get no latency during monitoring(using ASIO).

Also I get pops and clicks when playing any VST insterment, recording or not.

Thanks

MoreSpaceEcho

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:30 pm

1. Definitely not enough RAM.
2. 2 PCI video cards - BAAAADD! get 1 dual monitor AGP card.

Without those 2 'upgrades', it's unlikely you'll do much at 24/96. I'm pretty surprised you're getting the performance you are already...
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:37 pm

Free up your PCI bus (get an AGP video card if you have the slot) and get more RAM. 512 is usually a minnimum. I've got a gig and my PC smokes. Also, are you recording your audio to the same drive that has the operating system/program files installed? If so, buy a second hard drive and record your audio to that. Bottlenecks sucks. External firewire/usb or internal, it don't matter a whole lot.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:00 pm

ctmsound wrote:Also, are you recording your audio to the same drive that has the operating system/program files installed? If so, buy a second hard drive and record your audio to that.
Very unlikely to be an issue unless you have too little RAM for the job at hand.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:43 am

512 is the absolute minimum for ram if your doing audio. I think windows xp requires, I can't remember the exact figure, something like 150-200 megs of ram alone, leaving you only around 50 or so for everything else. Virtual instruments, except the one or two that stream from the hard drive, load up into Ram, which is why you're getting pops and clicks. What happens when you run out of ram is windows uses your hard drive as "virtual memory," which is, compared to lightning fast ram, extremely slow. Moreover, it can cause problems especially if you're already using your hard drive to store audio and systems info. I have alot of Ram, which has enabled me to completely disable virtual memory. You definitely need more ram, especially if you're using virtual instruments.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:51 am

Have you tried 88.2? I've found 96 to be pretty problematic, and everyone I've talked to has steered me away from it. I'm still doing 24/44.1, which isn't going to change for a while.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:49 am

Thanks guys that pretty much confirms what I already thought. I know, isn?t it amazing I was getting the performance I was with 256 of RAM. I can't wait to sell that last batch of crack to get these upgrades. Anyone interested? Puff, Puff.

Disclaimer- all drug solicitations in this email were fictional and intended as humor.

MoreSpaceEcho

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:24 am

Before you buy more ram, definitely give 88.2 a try. I have a shitload of ram, and I have the same problems with 96k, so there's a chance that adding more ram might not make that much difference. Everyone I've talked to, including representatives from apogee, have assured me there's no advantage to going over 44.1, and if you do it's 88.2 (which is an exact multiple of the 44.1 standard). I read an article about a year ago with interviews of about 5 or so big time pro tools producers, and not one one of them went over 48, and most were still using 44.1. I couldn't figure out why 96 was such a problem -- but one reason is if you're using plugins, some of the .dat files might be 44.1, and the since 96 isn't an exact multiple, your cpu just kind of bugs out trying to do the math.

phill2796
audio school graduate

Post by phill2796 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:08 pm

If you have all USB off how do you use N2
I know with the one I bought you have to have a USB donlgle in to use a leagal copy??
Phillp Boshers
AudioGram Pro
Nashville Tn.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:35 pm

Yeah..that's a good question.