Computer Amp Simulator for Bass

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
drliebs
gettin' sounds

Computer Amp Simulator for Bass

Post by drliebs » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:56 pm

Looking for a good amp simulator for bass for the PC, I have tried Guitar Rig but it is really laggy on my system (A P4 2.8, 512 RAM, and a TASCAM USB428) and it doesn't sound that good to me (could be all the snap crackle pop from the poor performance)

Any suggestions? I am pretty competent PC user and have my system tewaked pretty good, but I am suprised that my latency in the ASIO setup is still 25 ms...not fun to play with this latency...I made the buffer as small as it would go but it was unusable at that point. Maybe I am missing something...
If it's not Scottish it's CRAP

rolandk
buyin' gear

Re: Computer Amp Simulator for Bass

Post by rolandk » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:15 pm

Have you tried Amplitube? How about a hardware thingy like a Pod or Sansamp?
my band: Mission 5

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Re: Computer Amp Simulator for Bass

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:21 pm

drliebs wrote:Looking for a good amp simulator for bass for the PC, I have tried Guitar Rig but it is really laggy on my system (A P4 2.8, 512 RAM, and a TASCAM USB428) and it doesn't sound that good to me (could be all the snap crackle pop from the poor performance)

Any suggestions? I am pretty competent PC user and have my system tewaked pretty good, but I am suprised that my latency in the ASIO setup is still 25 ms...not fun to play with this latency...I made the buffer as small as it would go but it was unusable at that point. Maybe I am missing something...
You aren't going to be happy with any of them until you can get your latency lower. Could I suggest you go with whatever outboard you have, take a clean feed, and post process?

Personally, I prefer to build my 'bass amp' sim plugin by plugin - rennaisance channel, plus whatever takes my fancy. Perhaps put a regular amp sim on a send, for some mid range grit.