Dvd Burners

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Kilroy
buyin' gear

Dvd Burners

Post by Kilroy » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:22 pm

Hey guys, i used the search funtion but couldnt find much. I am Looking for a Dvd burner. I dont know what kind or anything like that. Just something that is good and reliable and can write on double layers. I was looking at the this http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/996 ... il.do#tabs

What do you guys think i should get, I am running windows XP, with a 1.6gh processor. I will be using it to make backups and to burn dvd's whenever i make any video or photo montages. Thanks

-Chris

nlmd311
tinnitus

Re: Dvd Burners

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:35 pm

Hey Chris,
I am glad you asked this. I was wondering the same thing. I have seen this thing in every single ad. I picked up out of the paper today. Basically the same price everywhere it seems. I have never had a problem with the Sony CD writer I have, and standard DVD-ROM, but haven't heard anything about these drives.

hoping to be enlightened

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:53 pm

A friend of mine suggested this one. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 032&DEPA=0

I think it is what im gonna get. He has used it before and likes it.

-Chris

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:33 pm

I have Sony's -- I just a bought one of the dual-sided ones -- not that I'll need it for a year or so, because the discs are over $10 a piece. I have one of the older single-sided ones in one of my other pcs, and it's worked pretty well. Some of the super cheap one's don't have dvd burning software (dvd burning isn't built into Windows), so that's a factor to consider. I'm sure most of them have some basic software, though, but you might want to check just to make sure.
Kilroy wrote:Hey guys, i used the search funtion but couldnt find much. I am Looking for a Dvd burner. I dont know what kind or anything like that. Just something that is good and reliable and can write on double layers. I was looking at the this http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/996 ... il.do#tabs

What do you guys think i should get, I am running windows XP, with a 1.6gh processor. I will be using it to make backups and to burn dvd's whenever i make any video or photo montages. Thanks

-Chris

drliebs
gettin' sounds

Post by drliebs » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:31 am

I used to just buy the cheapest CD ROM and burners. But I have had at least three of them fail on me and while they can be replaced by even cheaper hardware since when I bought them, I am sick of having it crap out at the least opportune times. So my advice is this:

Buy a Sony or Memorex. I have had the best luck with those brands. If this is strictly for backup and you don't have your heart set on burning movies then you can save a lot of money with a single layer DVD which holds 4.7 gigs. The disks are cheap and they burn fast. A lot of movies will need 8 or more gigs and will have to be manually split into two disks or the image quality can be reduced, but why have a DVD with crappy video?

Also, it is common for burners to support R+, R-, RW+, and RW-, also called dual format. If you get a single format (-, or +) it might not play back on older DVD drives. Again, not a real big deal if it is backup only.
If it's not Scottish it's CRAP