RAM question...Computer only reading two 512 chips as 480MB?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
nlmd311
tinnitus

RAM question...Computer only reading two 512 chips as 480MB?

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:55 pm

My brother was awesome and got me two 512, PC3200 chips for Christmas to replace the single 512, PC2100 I had. The only problem is after I installed them, my computer is only reading the RAM as 480MB. What's the deal, I ask?
Both were brand new, in factory sealed packages. Went in without a problem. I have tried switching the two chips (putting them in the slot they were not in). Mother board issue? Windows XP issue? Bad chip? My own issue?
any help would be great

thanks

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: RAM question...Computer only reading two 512 chips as 48

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:21 pm

So have you checked in the BIOS to see what the hardware thinks the RAM is?

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:07 pm

I still don't know how to get into BIOS. In another post someone directed me how, but that way does not work for me. ? The booting time is extremely quick so I don't know if it is just a matter of me not having the timing down, just not doing the entirely correct thing. How do you get into BIOS?
The only way I have been able to check out what the computer is reading the RAM as is by going under the General Properties tab. That is the only way I really know how to investigate this issue.

-Darrill

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:18 pm

If you do a little google-search for [name of motherboard] or [namebrand of computer+model number} + bios, you should come up with directions to get into the bios on your particular computer.

Weird that it would see the ram that way. Its really not too possible to know what exactly is going on, without being there to mess with it, but there are a few distinct possibilities.

A) Motherboards may require RAM to be arranged a certain way in the available slots, and not recognize them if they are puy in another way.

B) It could just be bad RAM.

C) Did you leave your old stick in as a boost? The MB may not like multiple types of RAM mixed together.

D) Have you tried reinstalling the RAM? Sometimes if everything is not quite lined up straight, you can get the "click" that the board makes when it seats, but its still not actually seated.

My hunch re: Windows recognizing 480megs, is that its counting application ram available (again, just hunches -- I've got 2k). What that would mean is that its using 32megs of memory just for itself, and telling you what's left over, meaning that your computer would have 512megs recognized, or more to the point, the second stick is not recognized.

Hope you get it sorted. No fun.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:38 am

You sure your laptop supports pc 3200?

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:58 am

Thanks for the help apropos of nothing.
I think you are right about your hunch regarding the 480mb idea. I was figuring the same. Still doesn't make me happy that the second chip is invisible.
a)I only have two slots for RAM on this board so I have tried them in the two different configurations thinking (like you said) that it might be particular to a certain setup.? Didn't make a difference.
b)I tried the chips out in another computer and they work fine. So, no bad RAM! That is a good thing.
c)Nope. I took the old stick out and thoughtfully/thoughtlessly installed it in my mom's computer thinking I wouldn't need this "I'll give the old lady a boost!"... Needless to say that one was recognized without a problem and now her computer which is never used is up to a GB and mine which is on at length is very sad.
d)Yeah, I have tried reinstalling it many times. If it isn't in exactly right the motherboard makes a wonderful beeping noise and a flashing light comes on to let you know something is up. So, I know that it is right when it is right. Atleast I am assuming, but pretty safely.

I have been installing the latest Windows XP updates since I have neglected being that I don't have a modem in this computer (the one I am describing) being that I only use it for audio and like to prevent myself from using it for other things that will gunk it up.
I also just wrote an email to the tech service dept of the mother board manufacturer to see if they might be of any service, but if it comes down to it, I guess I will just go and get a new main board.?

Hey hammertime,
It is PC3200 compatible. Thanks.

I guess I will just have to wait and see before I do anything else about it.
all the best

-Darrill

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:56 pm

I would be willing to be you are sharing main memory with video memory, as in an onboard video board or one with minimal memory populated.
Bill~~~

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:02 pm

I would so recommend finding your way into the bios. I've never heard of such a thing, but its possible that they've got the second memory bank switched off. Nonetheless, that way you could see if the hardware sees the memory.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:58 pm

Wild Bill wrote:I would be willing to be you are sharing main memory with video memory, as in an onboard video board or one with minimal memory populated.
Exactly. Onboard it is. Could this have something doing with it?
apropos of nothing wrote:I would so recommend finding your way into the bios. I've never heard of such a thing, but its possible that they've got the second memory bank switched off. Nonetheless, that way you could see if the hardware sees the memory.
I finally got into BIOS today and that was how I was able to (after downloading the updates) install the new BIOS. While I was in there I looked around, but I didn't see anything related to RAM or DIMM or anything else that I would automatically relate to RAM... Could you guide me possible in the right direction. The second bank being switched off really sounds like where it's at to me. I have been wondering if the slot/bank were just broken but maybe it is just physically switched off.

thanks

-Darrill

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:32 am

Wild Bill wrote:I would be willing to be you are sharing main memory with video memory, as in an onboard video board or one with minimal memory populated.
Exactly. Onboard it is. Could this have something doing with it?

Yes, many times onboard video devices will "share" memory rather than have seperate physical memory. It's not always the case, but I've seen it quite often. When this happens the operating system will report less memory present.

Bill~~~
Bill~~~

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:07 pm

nlmd311 wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:I would so recommend finding your way into the bios. I've never heard of such a thing, but its possible that they've got the second memory bank switched off. Nonetheless, that way you could see if the hardware sees the memory.
I finally got into BIOS today and that was how I was able to (after downloading the updates) install the new BIOS. While I was in there I looked around, but I didn't see anything related to RAM or DIMM or anything else that I would automatically relate to RAM... Could you guide me possible in the right direction. The second bank being switched off really sounds like where it's at to me. I have been wondering if the slot/bank were just broken but maybe it is just physically switched off.

What motherboard/computer brand is it? I'd want to look at pictures of the bios screen to tell you where to look.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:11 pm

Alright. I suck. Hands down. Although I do feel mislead... anyway. Come to find out the motherboard is not compatible with PC3200. Go figure, right?! Even though I looked up and down and was told it was, read that it could be "upgraded to" and was compatible with.
If you are still interested in seeing how much of a loser I am and what I wasted everyone's time, and about 3 1/2 days of my own time on; it is an Albatron PM266a PRO Mainboard.

I must thank you guys very much for being patient with me, and must say I have learned quite a bit.

all complaints and spam (for wasting your time) can be sent directly to nlmd311@aol.com or just go ahead and fill up my message box here.

Thanks again

-Darrill