s/pdif Question

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Dj Mayonnaise
audio school graduate

s/pdif Question

Post by Dj Mayonnaise » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:07 pm

Hows this work?

I have a Lexicon mpx 500 and apparently I can run it to my m-audio firewire 1814 via s/pdif. Does this mean I can control my effects with my DAW?

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Re: s/pdif Question

Post by mrc » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:03 pm

Hi,
You'll probably need a midi connection to control the effect setting, the s/pdif will let you send to and recieve from it. May also depend on your daw. Seems we all have trouble seeing what you have from where we are, you'll have to give us more info.
good luck,
mrc

Dj Mayonnaise
audio school graduate

Post by Dj Mayonnaise » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:20 pm

heh, sorry.

I use Logic Platinum 5.1 on a PC

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:16 pm

spdif is just a digital audio out. It has nothing to do with controlling your effects.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:20 pm

Hi,
I'm a cubase and acid guy, but it should work. Just get Logic to send midi to the unit and perhaps they have a learn fuction that will recognise the cc funtions on the unit, or have some sort of existing boiler plate for the Lexicon. Cubase now has many existing ccmaps, they were beter in the original vst and called mixer maps, and the learn function for generic units it doesn't have existing plates for. It may be easier to just run the controls manually.
Stienbergs system-link is the only way, I know of to send midi over an audio stream, and it is used to lock 2 computers with midi, and transport the midi stream.
For the audio side, if Logic will allow you to send and return audio, seems like it should work. Perhaps a Logic user can help you more.
mrc