LIVE RECORDING WITH PROTOOLS LE

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
otter
audio school graduate

LIVE RECORDING WITH PROTOOLS LE

Post by otter » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:34 am

i do live show recording with protools le 002 but up until now have been fine just using the 8 digital inputs/ 8 tracks. i run the digital inputs through an apogee converter.
i soon will be looking to use all 18 (including the 8 analog, 2 s/pdif's). to me, it's seems like this might bring up some latency issues running them all simultaneously. not to mention, making my computer sweat pretty hard...

i currently run a G4 desktop with 1.25 gig of ram with a 1 gig processor, H/W buffer set at 512. i also keep my G4 powerbook by my side as a back up running a 1.5 gig processor and the 1.25 gig of ram. i also never run plugins while tracking which helps. going to a tdm system out on the road touring seems like too much (plus expensive!) does any one else out there run all 18 at once with the 002 or 001? thoughts???

Lee Knight
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: LIVE RECORDING WITH PROTOOLS LE

Post by Lee Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:58 am

The only problem you'll run into is monitoring. Latency isn't an issue if you're recording a live band and they aren't queing off of the Pro Tools software. If, however, you're talking live in the studio, with phones being driven by the Pro Tools software mixer, it might be a problem.

Having said that, I regularly record 14 tracks at once with monitoring. I set the Hardware buffer to 64 !!!. No problems. If I try the Low Latency Monitoring... it chokes. 64 isn't an issue, latency wise, or CPU load wise.