Aardvark pro q10...I think I f'd something up here.

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Fuquan
pluggin' in mics

Aardvark pro q10...I think I f'd something up here.

Post by Fuquan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:31 am

OK, I installed my Aardvark pro Q10 on my PC and it was working alright. But the on-screen control panel for the card wouldn't turn on if the PC was left on for a while or if I closed the window.

So I impatiently (and stupidly) decided to look for something to "fix" this in the aardvark folder. I see this icon "aardvark runonce" or something. "Oh this might be it" I think. I hit it and my soundcard gets uninstalled. "Oh...crap!"

So I tried reinstalling everything. Then I get an error message "the procedure entry point SmapLS could not be located in dynamic link library Kernal 32.dll." Reinstalling a third time did not, of course, help.

So I emailed their tech support, but I was wondering if anyone here had suggestions. I'm running it on XP Pro on a self built system (p4, 1 GB DDR, SATA). I'm not completely well versed in all things windows (if you couldn't tell), but any help is really appreciated!

Kevin
Animals can't feel pain!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: Aardvark pro q10...I think I f'd something up here.

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:17 am

Runonce is an uninstaller. You'll need to reinstall the driver. (You may have to do a total uninstall from device manager to get it to reinstall right.)

RE: control panel shutting itself down. This is pretty common on that card. Some things that lessen the problem are not letting your computer go into sleep mode (have it shut down the monitor but leave everything else "awake"), have as few system-tray programs running at start-up (and in general) as possible.

If the control panel shuts itself down, there is a quick fix that doesn't neccesitate rebooting: right-click "my computer" and select "manage", double-click "services and applications", right-click the Aardvark manager and (TURN YOUR AMPLIFIER DOWN BEFORE THIS LAST STEP!) select "restart". Once its done you should have y'r Aardvark functioning again. (This is the procedure in 2k, I assume its the same in XP.)

Its a great-sounding card. I have had to fight with it a little to get it to be happy. cumseecumsaw.

There's a lot of good information (between infighting and general unhappiness) over at www.audioforums.com. Do a search for aardvark, and you'll come up with a lot of good information. Ignore the naysayers, unless they really get to ya.

Fuquan
pluggin' in mics

Post by Fuquan » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:42 am

Well, i downloaded the 7.04 driver, and it seems ok now. But if it keeps shutting down again I'll try what you said.
thanks!
kevin
Animals can't feel pain!

mofolotopo
audio school graduate

Post by mofolotopo » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:53 am

FWIW, I don't think you're supposed to let your system go to sleep with any of these recorders. I've had a Layla, a Delta 1010, and a Seasound, and all of them said not to let your computer go to sleep or hibernate. Just thought I'd share that.

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:41 am

I'd recommend totally removing all the Q10's drivers and reinstalling--it's a messy installation. Aardvark gives some very usefull advice on uninstalling on their website. And definitenly don't let your machine sleep. I'm surprised it's able to go to sleep at all--on my sytem the Q10's driver's make Windows think I'm always busy.