M-audio Oxygen 8 midi keyboard

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

M-audio Oxygen 8 midi keyboard

Post by operator_tape » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:10 am

I was just wondering, does anyone have this midi keyboard and is it working, a couple of months ago mine just stopped working and its like it does not exist on my computer. I plug in the USB cable to the computer and there is nothing that shows up with windows XP. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has expierenced this?

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: M-audio Oxygen 8 midi keyboard

Post by kcrusher » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:11 am

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling any drivers?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:16 pm

mine has weird usb issues, too. it randomly makes the bend knob on my interface move, rendering my oxygen8 virtually useless. i uninstalled drivers, reinstalled them and it didn't fix the problem.

i spent almost two hours on the phone being passed around from tech to tech only to find that since my oxygen8 was 13 months old (they only have a limited 1 year warranty), i would have to pay to ship it to them, then pay $40/hour for repairs, then pay to have them ship it back to me. since this thing only costs about $125, i just junked it and bought a new controller.

if yours is still under warranty, you could probably get it fixed pretty inexpensively.

here is the contact info i found that actually connects you to actual people:
email: techsupt@midiman.net
phone: 626-633-9050

hope this helps!

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:52 am

bombastique wrote:Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling any drivers?
Yeah I have but nothing happens, its like its just dead.

CKD
audio school graduate

Post by CKD » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:45 pm

Mine still works fine. Have you tried using the power adapter, and just using USB for the connection to the computer? Might help. The ON/Off switch is weird, center position is OFF, slide left is AC power, slide right is USB power. If you're sliding it left without an AC adapter plugged in, nothing will happen.

Speaking of the Oxygen 8, does anyone know how to adjust the sensitivity of the keys? I have to hit them so hard to get a higher velocity setting that it feels like I might break the thing. Do you change this on the unit, or in the application or what? I'm pretty new to MIDI, so if this is obvious I apologize in advance.
"I could talk talk talk talk talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath"

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:44 pm

weird. i have the opposite velocity problem with mine. notes come through with a much greater velocity than my other two controllers.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:48 am

CKD wrote:Speaking of the Oxygen 8, does anyone know how to adjust the sensitivity of the keys? I have to hit them so hard to get a higher velocity setting that it feels like I might break the thing. Do you change this on the unit, or in the application or what? I'm pretty new to MIDI, so if this is obvious I apologize in advance.
I figured it out. Hit the 'midi select' button, and then hit the key all the way on the left. If should say 'velocity' over it. Once you have hit the key, use the fader to select an appropriate level. Apparently the oxygen is initally set at '0', so try a level about halfway up should work. Once you have picked what seems like a good number, hit the 'midi select' button again, and test out your new settings. I can't fix my problem of too much velocity, since it is already at the minimum setting. oh well.