Slow bounces to disk....?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
kevindale
audio school graduate

Slow bounces to disk....?

Post by kevindale » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 pm

hi,
i had a strange occurence bouncing to disk last night... while bouncing the roughs we tracked, everything sounds fine and works great. i go to import to iTunes or Toast to make a cd and the songs play back slow, like PT trying to play a 48k session at 44.1(?).
completely stumped me.

gear: PT LE oo1 with Alesis AI3 lightpipe interface.

Clocking from the AI3 (Optical selected in PT pref) allowed for a good bounce (mind you though, internal clocking and AI3 disconnected made for slow bounces...strange).
Bounces were to 16 bit, 44.1 stereo interleaved...
i've bounced so many times and NEVER seen this...
Has anyone seen this?
you start out owning stuff, but sooner or later that stuff owns you.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: Slow bounces to disk....?

Post by kcrusher » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:41 am

Yes, and you're in for a world of hurt.

The problem is that the AI-3 is a 48k device by default. If you have your session in Pro Tools set to 44.1k the files recorded into PT will be 'tagged' at 44.1k even though they're actually 48k files. When you disconnect the AI-3 or switch PT back to internal clock, everything will seem slow as it's playing 48k files at 44.1k - the sample rate of the session.

If you're on Mac OS9 you can use ResEdit the change the tags on all the audio files to 48k. If you're on Mac OSX, you can use the Workspace browser (Windows>Show Workspace) to change the sample rate to 48k on all th audio files. You then have to create a new session at 48k and choose 'Import Session Data' (in OSX), making sure to uncheck the option to sample rate convert or, in OS9, choose 'Import Audio to Track' and import all the audio files to the new session.

From then on just make sure your sessions are set to 48k when using PT with the AI-3.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

kevindale
audio school graduate

Post by kevindale » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:27 am

GAAAHHH!! am i an ass for not reading my manual or what?!!
Bombastique, thank you for the information. Not necessarily a world of hurt, but a bit of work. at least things are salvageable and no longer a mystery:)
sweet! -kev

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:05 am

So does this mean that anything you record in Pro tools records at 48 even if you set it to 44.1? If so i'm doomed with the stuff i recorded on pro tools yesterday as i was going to import it all into VST today today to run with my 44.1 stuff, i'm going to have to check this out right now, see if it runs okay.

Shit, now i'm concerned.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

kevindale
audio school graduate

Post by kevindale » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:32 am

so, i rebuilt my sessions at 48k, everything transfered lovely, no pops or strangeness.
Thanks for the lifesaver.
and it was kinda more like doing those few extra pushups as opposed to a WORLD of hurt:) good looking out!

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:20 pm

Rigsby wrote:So does this mean that anything you record in Pro tools records at 48 even if you set it to 44.1? If so i'm doomed with the stuff i recorded on pro tools yesterday as i was going to import it all into VST today today to run with my 44.1 stuff, i'm going to have to check this out right now, see if it runs okay.

Shit, now i'm concerned.
I don't think so, unless you're using an external converter that only samples at 48 kHz. I've done numerous PT sessions at 44.1 kHz without any problems. I think the key is to make sure whatever external devices your using are sampling at the same rate as your session setup in PT.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:11 am

Al_Huero wrote:
Rigsby wrote:So does this mean that anything you record in Pro tools records at 48 even if you set it to 44.1? If so i'm doomed with the stuff i recorded on pro tools yesterday as i was going to import it all into VST today today to run with my 44.1 stuff, i'm going to have to check this out right now, see if it runs okay.

Shit, now i'm concerned.
I don't think so, unless you're using an external converter that only samples at 48 kHz. I've done numerous PT sessions at 44.1 kHz without any problems. I think the key is to make sure whatever external devices your using are sampling at the same rate as your session setup in PT.
Yeah, it all worked out fine.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com