Should I upgrade my Processor? Mac Question

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
texlop
pushin' record

Should I upgrade my Processor? Mac Question

Post by texlop » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:03 am

Is it worth upgrading my processor on my G3 it is at 315Mhz processor and I was going to upgrade to OSX, but am afraid it might slow my computer down drastically. Should I upgrade my processor? What should I look for in terms of specs?
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: Should I upgrade my Processor? Mac Question

Post by sonikbliss » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:42 am

I would start here. http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/index.c ... =1&TI=3237 Enter the model you have and it will tell you what's available. The best company's are OWC, Sonnet Technology, Gigadesigns, and Powerlogix. For specs mostly just find one that is the speed you're looking for. You might want to keep your eye on this http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=25257 if this is real I would probably go this way, personally. But I don't know what your needs are so it might or might not work for you. Hope this helps.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:50 am

texlop wrote:Is it worth upgrading my processor on my G3 it is at 315Mhz processor and I was going to upgrade to OSX, but am afraid it might slow my computer down drastically. Should I upgrade my processor? What should I look for in terms of specs?
Yeah, that's not gonna be so great- might not work at all.

The slowest G3 I have OS X on is 500MHZ and it works pretty well. FOr OSX, RAM levels are much much more important- don't even try it w/o 256 MB, 512-1GB is way better.

But it does depend on what you want to do. I'm betting at that speed you'll think OS X sucks.

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:22 pm

be aware that the latest version of the Mac OS will not install with certain
processor upgrades,so chiggety check yoself befo you wrekyoself.......

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:32 pm

hogfish wrote:be aware that the latest version of the Mac OS will not install with certain
processor upgrades,so chiggety check yoself befo you wrekyoself.......
what huh really? I hadn't heard that- I've never had a problem before, and I'm considering a processor upgrade too..

where can I get more info?

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Post by MechaGodzilla » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:06 pm

If I remember correctly, most of those processor cards come with a firmware update or something to make them OSX-compatible, but they need to be installed before you load OSX. www.xlr8yourmac.com might have some good info on getting them to work correctly...

texlop
pushin' record

Post by texlop » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:19 pm

I've been looking at this page
http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/b ... ac_g3.html

I talked to a friend and he said it might slow my computer down. I'm gonna go talk to the apple rep at CompUSA see what he says. Hopefully he wont stiff me and tell me to buy the Mac OSX saying it won't be a problem. Oh well I'm off to see the wizard.
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:50 pm

texlop wrote:I've been looking at this page
http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/b ... ac_g3.html

I talked to a friend and he said it might slow my computer down. I'm gonna go talk to the apple rep at CompUSA see what he says. Hopefully he wont stiff me and tell me to buy the Mac OSX saying it won't be a problem. Oh well I'm off to see the wizard.
Check out Other World Computing for really good service and sales on upgrades... http://www.macsales.com

I'm not sure how a CPU upgrade could slow your computer down- however, the upgrades don't change your bus speed which on a machine like that will be pretty slow. That will cause some bottleneck, so in other words, an upgraded computer won't likely be as fast as a new machine of the same speed. If he meant OS X will slow your computer down, he's right- that's what I was saying in my first post too. OS X seems pretty slow without the right horsepower beneath it.

Also at that macsales link- you can buy full installs of Panther (10.3) for $50. Probably cheaper than compusa!

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:15 am

Take a look at Sonnet's upgrade boards. They have had no issues for me on any mac I've used them on and I've been able to take some older machines and update them to OS X and run full audio session on them. I recently took a 500mhz G4 and made it a dual 1.3ghz. Took about 5 minutes to do the install and I was ready to rock and roll.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:07 pm

I have the option to upgrade to a single 1.2 ghz G4 or a Dual 1.0GHz G4. I'm running Digital Performer 4.0. which would be the better upgrade, I know DP claims to take advantage of dual processors (I currently have a dual 450 myhz.)

Thanks,
L
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson