Question about Clock Syncing

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Question about Clock Syncing

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:14 pm

Well, maybe that describes it. Skip down to the bottom if you just want to read the core question.

Right now I have a DIGI 002R with an Apogee Minime. The 002R is slaved to the clock in the Minime over the S/PDIF connection between the two. I'm looking to expand my A/D-D/A capabilities for both increased tracking channels and outputs to explore mixing out of the box with my current analog board (Soundcraft Spirit M12). I'm picking up a Frontier Designs Tango24 which seems to meet my needs at a reasonably attractive price.

I'm unsure of the familiarity of folks here with the above gear but figured it's worth a shot--I want to continue using the clock in the Minime as the master for the whole setup (Minime, DIGI 002R and Tango24). The Tango24 can be set to use an external clock source, either over the ADAT input (Toslink) or a separate connector (BNC?). In anycase, the Minime does not have a clock output separate from the S/PDIF connection going to the 002R. The 002R is setup to receive an external clock signal from the S/PDIF connection. Will simply connecting the ADAT output from the Digi 002R to the Tango24 effectively daisy chain the clock signal?

Or I guess the core question: Does the ADAT output from the 002R naturally carry the clock signal being used by the 002R (internal or external, as appropriate)?

Thanks in advance.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Question about Clock Syncing

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:41 pm

Ok, a bit more research through various manuals revealed the following:

According to the getting started guide, the 002R requires the ADAT input signal to carry the clock source--so I'm guessing at this point no using the ADAT output to carry through the S/PDIF signal from the Minime.

The Minime actually does have an external clock output in AES/EBU format (XLR connector).

The Tango24 can accept an external clock source which is then transferred along with its ADAT output signal and used for its converters--so good deal. The connection for the external source however is BNC (coaxial type connector).

I guess that leaves me in the market for a connector/cable that hooks an AES/EBU connection to a BNC. I'm having trouble tracking one down so if anyone has run up against this in the past I'd be interested to hear about it.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Question about Clock Syncing

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:28 pm

Alternately, does anyone know whether you can select the S/PDIF signal from the Minime as the clock source if both it and the Tango 24 are connected at the same time? And I'd presrume in this case the signal would get transferred across as I orginally suspected.