Do I need an external word clock?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Leopold
buyin' a studio

Do I need an external word clock?

Post by Leopold » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:47 pm

I just got a MOTU 24IO and on the settings it states that it has it's own clock. It is the only piece of hardware I'm using, do I need a clock? Will a seperate clock generator be an improvement?

Thanks,
L
Last edited by Leopold on Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Do I need and external word clock?

Post by AnalogElectric » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm

Depends on if you have a core system or not. I also don't know your specs; I need to know what operating system your using in order to diagnose your issue. Windows? Mac? Then I also need to know software you're using and computer HD sys, RAM, and etc.... the new Mac G5 Audio Core systems are pretty latency equivalent to a PCI Firewire NME, MOTU, etc...

But, like I said I need to know specs on what you're using and what kind of computer you got before I can help. I have a 24 i/o as well but what are you connecting it to and what's your application/use? I need more sys info.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Larsen
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Larsen » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:45 pm

Howdy,

There was a pretty massive thread on this a while ago. (you should definately check it out in the archives, not sure where it is.)..
One very respected member on the board, insisted that using an external clock was a key element in his recording.
Some other designers insist that you should always use your internal clock. They say an external clock is just another link in your signal, and therefore causes the potential for more jitter. There were some comments that Digidesign's clocks were designed poorly, and that could be the only reason the system would sound "better" with an external clock.
The major factor that stopped ME from running out and buying a clock, was the price. A good clock costs about $1,200 (and that's the cheap ones). A clock's purpose is to sync muliple digital devices together. You shouldn't HAVE to buy an external clock, your system doesn't depend on one. My card's manuals suggest that I always use the internal clock, so I do.
I don't have a MOTU, but I have had heard good things about them...
Anybody out there had any major sonic differences with a MOTU and an external clock?

regards,
j

Larsen
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Larsen » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:57 pm

Oh yea,

I was basing my response on a very general premise, if you hook up an external clock to your already working system, will it be an "improvement..."
Is there anything giving you the impression that there is something wrong? Are you having any sonic problems that would cause you to believe you need a clock to correct it?
Adam's right, some more information will help everyone..

:)

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:00 pm

You certainly do not need an external clock. However you may hear a sonic improvement if you use an external clock. You should probably read the thread Is anyone using a Word Clock with a Digi 002? .

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:51 pm

AnalogElectric wrote:Depends on if you have a core system or not. I also don't know your specs; I need to know what operating system your using in order to diagnose your issue. Windows? Mac? Then I also need to know software you're using and computer HD sys, RAM, and etc.... the new Mac G5 Audio Core systems are pretty latency equivalent to a PCI Firewire NME, MOTU, etc...

But, like I said I need to know specs on what you're using and what kind of computer you got before I can help. I have a 24 i/o as well but what are you connecting it to and what's your application/use? I need more sys info.

-- Adam Lazlo
Thanks for the replies so far.

Here are the details...
Mac G4 dual 450 (soon to be upgraded to dual 1ghz), 640 ram, 80gb and 40 gb LaCie drives, Digital Performer 4.0 with MOTU 24IO with the PCI 424 card.

No problems so far, I just got the system so I really haven't had a chance to give it a run thru.

Leo

ps Adam, I'll be sending you that CD I promised a while back..totally forgot about that..
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:29 am

Oh yeah, the CD, hehe.

The internal clock is just fine with the PCI424 and your setup. There are rare cases you'd use any external clocks but considering you're not slaving anything the internal setting is your best choice.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:23 pm

I bought an Aardsync and compared it to my MOTU internal clock. It made a difference! I don't know how many A/B articles I read in Tape op where engineers get this demo clock from a company, and rant and rave about how you can't live without it. Well, It wasn't that dramatic, but it did improve the high end, and made imaging clearer. I now use it at every stage of the digital recording process. I wouldn't put it high on your list, unless you plan to do crucial mixing or mastering.

Greg
going one way down a wrong way street

Larsen
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Larsen » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:15 pm

Good to know TooLoFi, most of that other thread was dealing with only Digidesign. I wonder if anyone here has had positive results with external clocks and other brands of interfaces..
Oh, this is off topic, but AnalogElectric, is that the "hypno toad" in your little pictrure thing there?

j

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Larsen wrote:Good to know TooLoFi, most of that other thread was dealing with only Digidesign. I wonder if anyone here has had positive results with external clocks and other brands of interfaces..
Oh, this is off topic, but AnalogElectric, is that the "hypno toad" in your little pictrure thing there?

j
All hail the Hypno-Toad!
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA