Screen Refresh blues

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: Screen Refresh blues

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:32 pm

Dude. It's totally that Chapman stick that's crashing your system. No DAW can cope with those harmonics. 8)

Seriously, once you're done programming on the VSTIs, try rendering'em and closing'em. That oughta help for starters.

I reiterate checking on plugs one by one with the system-resource meter.

I've had to do renders to disk to keep my system happy. I'm definitely needing to do a w/ri.

I dunno about 256-color, that seems a little extreme. I do know that when I lowered my screen display depth to 16-bit over 24-bit that I got a little bit of extra juice.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:44 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Dude. It's totally that Chapman stick that's crashing your system. No DAW can cope with those harmonics. 8)

Seriously, once you're done programming on the VSTIs, try rendering'em and closing'em. That oughta help for starters.

I reiterate checking on plugs one by one with the system-resource meter.
It's not the system resources! The only thing that's slow is the refresh. Keep in mind, nothing starts crapping out when the refresh slows - the audio keeps playing fine, and VSTis are still responsive.

I'm getting the same thing with large midi-only files, using only outboard gear.

The refresh gets worse if I have lots of little clips, rather than long ones throughout the track.
I've had to do renders to disk to keep my system happy. I'm definitely needing to do a w/ri.

I dunno about 256-color, that seems a little extreme. I do know that when I lowered my screen display depth to 16-bit over 24-bit that I got a little bit of extra juice.
16 bit is recomended - 24 bit uses more pci bus throughput.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:29 pm

Hmmm. Now as I'm thinking about it, I seem to recall installing updated Direct-X on my machine, and it seems to me to maybe correlate with when I started getting the mondo-crasho in DAW programs.

I wonder if Direct-X is back to breaking things. (ala up to versions ~5 or 6.)

misterock
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by misterock » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:26 pm

I love the fact that my mac is not connected to the internet. It is a dedicated machine that does one thing: Record and playback 32 track audio mixes.

My windows machines and all their updates, anti-spyware, viruses...what the fuck. These machines are sold as victims. I say one machine for each thing. One for internet, one for books, one for recording. Don't be a guinnea pig for the do all machine. Optimize each machine for it's task.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:46 pm

I figured out what it was.
My problem was RME's Total Mix.
Problem solved.
Well not really because now I can't use total mix.
Not impressed with RME at all so far. So many problems.
Turned off Total Mix and problems went away.

Computer is amazing though.

Maybe RME will fix it in the future.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:44 pm

AnalogElectric,

Please post on the screen redraw issues. Same deal here, although not working with 30 tracks, so not a big hang up. But when I have a shitty drummer and the band is requesting editing, it can be frustrating. I was thinking of switching to Cubase 3 instead of the upgrade. As nice as Nuendo 2 is, I went in with a friend on it who was into film, but he ended up getting a mac and going to film school. Meanwhile, I record mostly rock bands with it and rarely have the need for anything that Cubase doesn't have. What is the upgrade price now?
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:04 pm

T-rex wrote:AnalogElectric,

Please post on the screen redraw issues. Same deal here, although not working with 30 tracks, so not a big hang up. But when I have a shitty drummer and the band is requesting editing, it can be frustrating. I was thinking of switching to Cubase 3 instead of the upgrade. As nice as Nuendo 2 is, I went in with a friend on it who was into film, but he ended up getting a mac and going to film school. Meanwhile, I record mostly rock bands with it and rarely have the need for anything that Cubase doesn't have. What is the upgrade price now?
If you have Nuendo 2 you can upgrade to Nuendo 3 at a cost of $299 until the end of Feb 2005.... after that the upgrade will cost $499.

Considering you're not doing much more than rock bands you'd be better off investing in Cubase. Nuendo doesn't have anything you'd find worthy in regard to rock band recording. Nuendo (of which is powerful and multi-media friendly) doesn't do much more for a strictly music-audio-centric studio as opposed to the newest version of Cubase. If you like the Steinberg line and you're only recording bands then go with Cubase.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo