mac mini? hmmmmmmm.....

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Tim Casey
pushin' record

Re: mac mini? hmmmmmmm.....

Post by Tim Casey » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:05 am

I always had a feeling George Bush was lip-syncing....

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:19 pm

lemme guess markee..... PC guy?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:45 am

Tim Casey wrote:I always had a feeling George Bush was lip-syncing....
I don't think i saw your lips move when you said that.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:00 am

aishabag23 wrote:lemme guess markee..... PC guy?
No I'm not actually, I have a couple of macs but I'm starting to see more and more how lame mac is, the company and the products.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:03 am

"sometimes its jsut better to admit you are/were wrong than to keep trying to justify"

And vice versa.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:36 am

markee2004 wrote:"sometimes its jsut better to admit you are/were wrong than to keep trying to justify"

And vice versa.
"sometimes its just better to admit you are/were justifying than to keep trying to wrong"
:?:

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:29 pm

hahahahahahaha......

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:38 pm

Yeah man where did you find a 17" flat panel for $150?

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:58 pm

sonikbliss wrote:
markee2004 wrote:"sometimes its jsut better to admit you are/were wrong than to keep trying to justify"

And vice versa.
"sometimes its just better to admit you are/were justifying than to keep trying to wrong"
:?:
:roll: No. I meant that sometimes it's worthwhile to justify yourself, and explain your point to people that can't understand the truth. But I suppose it's not really worth arguing with computer geeks at all :wink:

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:33 pm

You know, if you're into rolling your own, I can see why you'd prefer PCs over Macs. But as far as saying that Macs are garbage... I've been using them since the eighties, I see how Microsoft and all the PC manufacturers are always playing catch-up to what Apple comes out with, the machines are usually drop-dead cool (including the new mini-Mac), and I've gotten an awful lot of high-quality work done over the years (my current surround-sound / audio-video studio is running on a Yikes G4 from the very first batch back in 1999), so I can't understand why anyone would think the Macs are useless. My kid's friends even change their minds once they start using our iMac.

Just what machines were you using, and what circumstances made you think they sucked?

vatoben
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vatoben » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:43 am

how do you say...
g4 cube.. take two....
this time around apple should have no problem.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:14 am

markee2004 wrote:
Any way the emac would be a hell of alot better value than this mini mac piece of crap. There really is no need for this mini mac excressence.
I think you mean excrescence.

As for the $150 17'" LCD/TFT, I've seen them on these sites (not always a guarantee to find them that cheap, but I've seen them often enough that it shouldn't take more than a few weeks to locate one..).

www.pricewatch.com
www.powermax.com
www.necmitsubishi.com (outlet store)
www.tigerdirect.com (they have one now for $189)
www.dealuniversity.com
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:48 pm

I didn't say I thought macs are useless. It's probably more that I hate the company. I do think there products are fundementally flawed though for a number of reasons, two of the reasons are the lack of compatible software, and that there so overpriced. If you have one for a number of years the lack of software gets really annoying. It's Not that I think microsoft is really any better though.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:51 pm

i tend to agree with markee. there's a lot of hype surrounding the mac, mostly due to their marketing style (think mackie, nike). their designers bow to kitsch before functionality (one mouse button... hello!). i digress. perhaps the mac isn't the best solution for everyone? i wouldn't mind working on either a mac or a pc, as i definitely see the good and the bad in both (as it's apparent markee does). as far as tapeop ways go, markee's signature says a lot about him, take it easy on the guy. put the vitriolic haze on "standby" (or "sleep", as it were) -- no need to get in a hoot over semantics. at any rate, i think it's fucking hillarious that he's bagged on and compared to GW because of his preference in computers for mother fuck's sake.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:54 am

No compatible software? I'm using DP, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, and Illustrator, Adaptec Jam and Toast, and DVD Studio Pro. I can't think of anything else I need to do with my computer - and I'm doing an awful lot more than my PC friends are.