DP 4.5x benefits?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
StivBatorsWreckedMyCar
alignin' 24-trk

DP 4.5x benefits?

Post by StivBatorsWreckedMyCar » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:35 am

OK. I pretty much figured out MOTU's stripped down Audio Desk 2.0 program. Now. what are the benefits going to up Digital Performer? I don't do any MIDI stuff, just straight tracking, mixing and some minimal effects use. I do want to buy some nice plug-ins which I assume will be supported by AD 2.0. Any of you MOTU-heads care to chime in?

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Re: DP 4.5x benefits?

Post by space_ryerson » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:37 am

I'm not much of a DP guy, but apparently 4.5 has a couple of improvements over 4.12 that are worth noting. Apparently, 4.5 has some sort of way of not using cpu on plug-ins and soft synths when there isn't any signal detected on that track.
The other thing worth noting is that I'm told 4.5 supports the RTAS format. I could be wrong, but if that is so, than that is a major plus, since you could conceivably use MAS, AU, VST and RTAS formats all in one program.

chikkenguy
takin' a dinner break

Re: DP 4.5x benefits?

Post by chikkenguy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:23 pm

i really want to get 4.5.

auto delay comp, stereo aux sends with little panners, and it does support vst, au, rtas, and mas. it has this new windows feature which makes it a little like protools, where you can clip some of the windows to the sequencer window, and then just press the button to have it expand. equivalent to the way the "soundbites" window works in pt.