ERASING a 120GB FW drive

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
logancircle
tinnitus

ERASING a 120GB FW drive

Post by logancircle » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:18 pm

Can anyone tell me the best way to erase a LaCie 120 gig FW drive so that I can begin anew with no frag problems? I just used OSX disk utility cuz that's all I have. Thx mucho!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: ERASING a 120GB FW drive

Post by sonikbliss » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:06 pm

use OS X disk utility > Erase > Mac OS Extended (if you are using it for audio recording DO NOT USE JOURNALED) Install OS 9 drivers (if you want OS 9 compatibility, recommended)

Open OPTIONS and select Zero All Data

It could take a little while but will do the trick.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:18 pm

No need to 'zero all data' unless you need to 'cover your tracks' and completely erase any data on the drive.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

etl423
audio school graduate

Post by etl423 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:06 pm

Out of curiousity, why don't you want to use Journaling for audio recording?
"My dad couldn't stand on two feet as he lectured about morality."

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:15 am

I don't know much about optimizing FW HD performance--would this journaling thing help my audio work better (that's why I'm doing it). My Protools LE is often telling me can't get audio fast enough from the drive when I'm tracking or bouncing and I print the plugin effects and still same thing. I zeroed all data, partitioned it into a 60 gig section, brought some sessions back onto the drive and the same problems came up. I've bounced more tracks than this in the past with no problems. Anyone know what's up?
I like dirt.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:53 am

Basically journaling divides your hard drive into many smaller sections so it can keep better track of where on the drive a specific piece of data is written (it keeps a journal of all these small sections if you will).

This is great if you are working with documents or something similar. It is bad if you are working with audio or anything that has to continously stream from disk because now your computer has to look through a million different sections on your hard drive continously and that will make your hard drive's performance suffer and possibly cause other problems. Hope this helps.

Also after you have your drive formatted once there is no need to ZERO ALL DATA again. I you should need to reformat again just use OS X disk utility>partition.

I'm not sure about this but one of our techs told me everytime you use Erase you lose a small piece of the hard drive's storage capacity, but this does not occur when you use Partition.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:01 am

logancircle wrote:I don't know much about optimizing FW HD performance--would this journaling thing help my audio work better (that's why I'm doing it). My Protools LE is often telling me can't get audio fast enough from the drive when I'm tracking or bouncing and I print the plugin effects and still same thing. I zeroed all data, partitioned it into a 60 gig section, brought some sessions back onto the drive and the same problems came up. I've bounced more tracks than this in the past with no problems. Anyone know what's up?
After you have a fresh drive, try doing a Save Session Copy In and save all the files on your clean drive instead of just dragging and copying them over. This way all the data for each session will be written together in one section on your hard drive.

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/hd/drives.cfm

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:23 am

Here's specific info on what journalling is:

http://www.backupbook.com/03Freezes_and ... aling.html

The problem with journalled drives is that the jounal need to continuously be updated when you're writing (recording) to the drive, which can slow down performance considerably.

So, no, journalling will not help performance in audio or video playback or recording. Only a faster drive or a more optimised system will.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

etl423
audio school graduate

Post by etl423 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:26 am

Cool, thanks for the information. I'll reformat my audio partition soon.
"My dad couldn't stand on two feet as he lectured about morality."

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:54 am

So is it true that a drive like this LaCie 120g won't benefit from partitioning it? Anyone know if 7200+rpm external drives are going to be coming out anytime soon?
I like dirt.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:30 pm

logancircle wrote:So is it true that a drive like this LaCie 120g won't benefit from partitioning it? Anyone know if 7200+rpm external drives are going to be coming out anytime soon?
1.Yes, partitioning won't increase your drives performance

2. 7200 rpm external drives have been out for awhile. Most firewire are 7200. external SCSI goes up to 15,000 rpm.

http://www.fantomdrives.com/products/ha ... index.php4