Xserve?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Xserve?

Post by MechaGodzilla » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:35 pm

Anyone ever use an Apple XServe as a studio computer? The prospect of a 1U rackmount Mac is pretty nifty, if I do say so myself.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Re: Xserve?

Post by spankenstein » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:14 am

I strongly doubt the Xserve is quiet in any environment. My company builds 1U PCs for high performance clustering and 1Us are generalyl very loud with small very fast high pitched fans that will completely drive you insane.

mastermind
studio intern

Re: Xserve?

Post by mastermind » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:35 am

I use an xserve for my web and ftp hosting here at the studio - it's loud, but not horrible loud.

I keep all my machines in a machine closet. For my audio work I use an IBM Netfinity server running Win XP (I use Wavelab for CD editing and unfortunately it's PC only)... compared to the IBM (which sounds like a jet engine) the xserve is quiet... but it could still be an annoyance if it was in the same room as you.

It should also be noted that the xserve is about 2' deep... it needs to be mounted in a 4 post rack.. most audio racks would not be able to accomodate this.

To be honest, the main reason for buying an xserve over a standard G5 is the included OS (the Server OS). Although the server OS will work fine as a "standard" OS, there is no point in getting it unless you're doing serving. With that said, the standard G5 has more "bang for the buck" on the hardware side. Conversely, the standard G5 would not make much sense as a server since after buying the G5 you still need to go out and get the server OS, which is quite spendy - $500-$1000.

Still.. I do agree... the xserve is one sexy piece of machine....

trev
trevor sadler
mastering & vintage submarine restoration
mastermind
charlotte, nc., usa