MBox crashes

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
thekid
audio school graduate

MBox crashes

Post by thekid » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:52 am

Lately my mbox has been crashing out at startup. it will load about 3/4's of the way, and then quit, saying an unexpected error occurred. I can't figure out if this is software related, or hardware related?

I have a 15" powerbook G4 with 1.25Ghz processor and 512MB of memory. I run protools LE 6.4. The strange thing is that it only crashes at startup and/or when creating a new session or opening up a new session. I've had mixed results from opening protools, then a session vs. opening up protools BY opening up a session, but there doesn't seem to be any science to my solutions. It's really just hit or miss. I thought maybe my USB jack was spotty?

Has anyone had any similar problems? I couldn't find anything on digi's site. Is this a bug? Is there a patch?

Thanks.

cfMC
pushin' record

Re: MBox crashes

Post by cfMC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:22 pm

I had similar trouble but with a G3/OS9, havent had the same trouble (or other troubles) with G4/OSX. I assume you are using OSX, if not that's probably a big factor. also, are your files right there on your G4 harddrive, or on an external firewire drive? to minimize possible trouble you should do everything on an external drive.

one FYI, I had ongoing trouble with my MBox source 2 input (it would randomly/with ever-greater frequency go dead in the middle of takes)-- I finally got around to sending it back to digidesign during the last week of warranty coverage, and they were very speedy about fixing it and getting it back to me.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:25 pm

I've had this problem twice now in OS X -- took me forever to figure out.

Delete ALL of the "digidesign databases" folders on each hard drive.

There should be one of these folders at the root of each hard drive and partition.

If you're squeamish about deleting stuff, just drag them to the trash (don't empty trash yet), restart, then launch PT again.

Let me know if that helps.

-Bret

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:22 am

FWIW, a good way to solve most PT problems (at least temporarily) is to do this:

On the startup disk go to YOUR USER NAME > LIBRARY > PREFERENCES and delete the following

1) DAE Prefs
2) DigiSetup.OSX
3) Pro Tools LE v6.4 Preferences

and then restart. You'll probably have to enter your PT preferences again but it should solve the aforementioned errors. Digi recommends this in their "general troubleshooting FAQ" at duc.digidesign.com

nicksense15
gettin' sounds

Post by nicksense15 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:10 am

Ive had the problem as well when I tried to boot PT 6.1 LE in OSX with my Mbox. It always worked in 6.4, but crashed 6.1 every time. Updating to 6.4 on the 6.1 computer was the easy fix.

I think there was maybe a firmware update or something for the Mbox when I first went to 6.4 and now it cant go back.

Nick

thekid
audio school graduate

Post by thekid » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:52 am

thanks everyone for the help. i followed all of your directions, and i had no problems! i deleted the digidesign databases, the prefs, and hooked up the external harddrive. then i restarted, and i was on my way.

thanks

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:12 am

Would you all automatiicaly advise anyone using an M Box to use a firewire drive for files? I have a G4 with a totally empty, partitioned 40 Gig Harddrive that I'd like to use specifically for Pro Tools. In my limited experimentation, though, it seems that any time I get above 8 tracks or so, I get prompts taht my CPU usage is too low. I just upgraded the RAM, maybe that'll help. It could also be my general negative attitude towards computers (ruining our lives, essentially).

thekid
audio school graduate

Post by thekid » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:33 am

since protools itself is running on the cpu, you will ALWAYS be better off recording to an external drive. do you HAVE to use an external drive? no. but it will ALWAYS be smoother.

firewire drives are really cheap these days, too. plus, you can use it and back up your files on your internal cpu drive.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:35 am

I used internal drives on my mBox for about 2 years, until I got an external firewire drive. I kind of think that if you're getting CPU errors, it's because the CPU isn't fast enough to process all the tracks. A faster computer may be your best recourse. Either that, or slimming your system down -- cutting down on any background processes, extra running apps that you don't need, etc. I have a dual processor G4 and I get CPU errors when I have a few plugins on 4 tracks or more. Granted, my machine gets used for everything, not just audio, but I'm probably looking at an upgrade soon, too.

Anyhow, I digress: I did not notice an improvement with the use of a firewire drive.

-Bret

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:44 am

I think part of the problem (and my frustration) is that I really and truly do not understand what CPU really means and how it affects my recording. I had hoped that by having nothing but pro tools on my HD2, and by increasing the RAM, it would be sufficient to get some work done. I just had a little lightbulb go off that perhaps the e-mail and other applications that are on HD1 also drag on CPU usage- even when they aren't open or being used. Is this true?

I mean, seriously, a 3 or 4 year old GP4 with two 40 GB harddrives (partitioned), 533MHz processing speed and almost a one gig of RAM, OSX, shouldn't I be able to record more than 7 or 8 tracks? Very discouraged that I don't know more about what the hell I'm doing (but I'm a crackin' songwriter, so that helps). What's wrong in that equation?

thekid
audio school graduate

Post by thekid » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:09 pm

perhaps this will help...

having free space on your harddrive is a good thing, but unless you are close to having a full harddrive, it's not going to really matter if you have 40 gigs free or 80 gigs free. both are plenty of space. the reason that external harddrives are helpful is twofold.

1 - oftentimes the internal drive of a computer (especially older ones) are not that fast. and by fast, i'm not talking about processor speed, i'm not talking about RAM. i'm talking about harddrive speed, something you probably never cared about until you started recording music. i believe that it is recommended you record to a drive no less than 7200rpm. many internal drives are 5600rpm. newer computers may be faster, but the drive has to spin fast enough to keep up with the recording in real time. if you've ever crashed in the middle of a take, you may notice a gigantic temp file on your harddrive after reboot. realtime audio recording requires high specs in all areas of the game.

2 - if you use an external harddrive simply as a storage device, and it contains your audio files, it will not have anything else weighing it down. you may have no programs except protools running on your internal drive, but don't forget OS X. that is a program too, and protools is no small app. it is recommended that you do not record to the same drive as that which your applications are running. if you have an 80 gig 7200 rpm external drive doing nothing but recording music, with a computer set up with protools, you should be good to go.

hope this helps.

good luck.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:48 am

Actually, that does help explain things a little. So I'd have the rpogram on my HD2, but actually do most of my work on the external drive? I'm sure there's a topic about this, but any recommendations on a good drive to get?

Thanks for breaking it down like that. The fog has cleared a little.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:04 am

I say, can anyone recommend a good external drive for these purposes? Nothing too crazy expensive, but one that will do the job?

filterfreak
audio school

Post by filterfreak » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:59 am

Check out external hard drives at firewiredirect.com
They have some good options and are pretty affordable too.
filter me this...
filter me that...

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:34 am

www.ezq.com

they might be a little more money, but man are they reliable. i have several of them and i can't say enough good things about them.