Mastering with Cubase SX

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
antilog
george martin

Mastering with Cubase SX

Post by antilog » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:48 pm

Does anyone do their final stereo preparations in Cubase SX? I used to use Cubase for tracking and mixing, and Wavelab for finalizing the 2-tracks, but no longer have access to Wavelab. I am going to dive into figuring out a good work flow for mastering in Cubase SX3 (working with what I have), but I was just wondering if anyone does this regularly.

Thanks
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Re: Mastering with Cubase SX

Post by T-rex » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:27 pm

I have Nuendo and I do all the actual mastering work with that using mostly waves plugs. Now when I say mastering, I am just talking about my band's music or local artists who don't have the budget to send it off to a real mastering lab, which I always recommend. Anyway, I usually line up each fully mixed song on it's own stereo track, all starting at 0:00:00 time. I work with each song individually, using plug in's to get the songs sounding good. Then I mute and unmute track by track to make sure the levels sound even and everything has the same character. I also take care of cleaning up any intros or song endings, if necessary.

Lastly, I use Sony CD Architect to sequence the album and burn the final CDR. It's inexpensive and very intuitive. I would love to have wavelab but I had CD architect before Nuendo so I have stuck with it, and hey that's more cash for mic's!

Anyway, hope some of that helps.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:16 am

Thanks! Great idea about putting each song on its own track, then muting/unmuting to check relative energy levels. I was running analyses in Wavelab (when I had access to it), compressing (leveling+limiting) to get the "numbers" close, listen to the songs on disc or in winamp, then tweak levels from there. Your idea in Cubase sounds much easier and natural.

I look forward to trying it out, as I have a project that is nearing that stage.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:03 pm

Great Man! Glad that was helpful.

One last thing: I usually use the "x" mute tool as the cursor. I mute all tracks by clicking on the waves and then unmute them one at a time. It's much easier then clicking on each tracks individual Mute button. Plus you can't accidentally unmute all the tracks at once which can be a disaster if you are checking at a medium or loud volume! Ten tracks playing at once is no good for your monitors or your ears.

Good luck with it.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.