How can I interface a boss br-8 with an iBook?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
MCMC
audio school

How can I interface a boss br-8 with an iBook?

Post by MCMC » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:17 pm

Hi,

I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could transfer songs from my BR-8 onto my iBook so I can burn them to CD. I'm not trying to make great recordings, I just want a way to archive improvisations for future reference in a simple way with decent sound quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MCMC

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: How can I interface a boss br-8 with an iBook?

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:45 pm

Not familiar with the BR-8. The simplest would be to get a soundcard for the I-book and play the BR-8 tracks into it.

MCMC
audio school

Post by MCMC » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:31 pm

Forgive me my ignorance, but is a sound card hardware I install into the iBook itself? Or maybe I already have one? I got iTunes and I can burn Cd's

At the risk of sounding like a prick here are the questions tormenting me right now

I'm looking at my system specs and its sayin:

mac osx version 10.1.5
memory: 128 MB
processor: powerpc g3

so say I had a sound card, would I then need a software program to record sound with? and which one?

next, how would I hook up the RCA line out of the BR-8 to the iBook? would I need an adapter for the Br-8's RCA out to a USB or Firewire port? Or could I just plug in through the headphone jack on the iBook?

thanks in adavance for anyone who might enlighten me thusly

MCMC

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:02 pm

I used to do the same exact thing you are wanting to do. He is what you will need along with what you already have.

USB zip drive
BR8 to WAV (it's freeware, you can find it on the internet)
some type of editing software

So just stick your zip discs into your USB zip drive, convert the .br8 files to .wav, and then get busy on your editing software. I don't know much about apples though, so I'm not sure if you would need to convert those files to aiff.

MCMC
audio school

Post by MCMC » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:44 pm

Awesome!

That helps a lot.

Thanks.

Just out of curiousity, how did it work out for you? Why'd you stop?

MCMC

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:30 pm

I thought that program was only for PC? Even so, he'd need a multitrack editor to deal with all the new files.

you can buy that little Edirol soundcard for your laptop. it's usb and works without blinking. You can either go out the RCA or the SPDIF outs. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=h ... id/700714/

I dunno if the iBooks have recording software installed but you can always download Audacity

good luck
will

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:12 pm

I don't know what to say if there's no way to covert Br8 files on an apple. It worked great while I was using it. I'm letting my brother Borrow my Br8 and Zip drive for a while, I now have weekly acess to a studio with a Pro Tools HD3 system.

Update: Before I had the Zip Drive, I used to take the analog outs on the BR8 and plug them into a standalone CD burner.