How many people use external Hard Drives...

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
texlop
pushin' record

How many people use external Hard Drives...

Post by texlop » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:33 pm

How many people use external Hard Drives to record audio. I've heard that when recording on a computer you should have the program running on your main hard drive and use either an external or some other hard drive just for your audio flies. Why is it that people reccommend this? Does it put less stress on the CPU? I'm curious because I was thinking of getting an external Hard Drive just for that reason.
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: How many people use external Hard Drives...

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:01 am

I've got two running off a mac (firewire connections) and they worked fine. I had a bit of trouble intially as they were sharing a bus with my Digi 002R. I installed a second PCI firewire bus and that fixed the problem. As a recent thread clarified, if it's a new computer there's no reason the extra drives need to be external--just get a box with two drives. It was also pointed out that not using your system drive for audio isn't sacrosanct. People do it all the time. The deal is that most manufacturers (Digidesign for sure) don't recommend it; so I don't just to insure I don't have problems down the line. When adding drives you just need to insure that the specs (chip set, speed, etc.) match the audio manufacturer's specs.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:35 am

recording to the system drive, while it will work, is playing with fire... you want your system drive to remain as clean and unfragmented as possible, and recording audio is about the quickest way to fragment a drive.

A second internal drive is actually usually better than an external Firewire (400) drive... a little better performance. The tradeoff is portability. If that isn't an issue, it's also cheaper. Most macs have 2 internal IDE busses, so you can keep the drive off the same bus and squeeze a little more performance out of it. 200GB internal drives can be had for around $100 if you look hard enough.

I use 2 external FW drives and they both work great. I wipe them clean and start over every so often but that's just good drive maintenance.

I used to recommend OWC's mercury elite, and I still do, but it seems that ALMOST any old FW drive that's made today works well.

texlop
pushin' record

Post by texlop » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:43 pm

The thing is I can't use an extra internal drive. I just bought the iMac G5 and there is no room for an internal drive only external firewire. So, I have no choice. Anyone know where there is a good deal on an external. Everywhere I've checked is pretty pricey.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:08 pm

texlop wrote:The thing is I can't use an extra internal drive. I just bought the iMac G5 and there is no room for an internal drive only external firewire. So, I have no choice. Anyone know where there is a good deal on an external. Everywhere I've checked is pretty pricey.
well, the cheapest deals I have found come up on
http://www.dealmac.com but you have to watch for them.

External FW drives aren't cheap really in any way. You could find a cheap internal IDE drive and then a cheap Firewire enclosure on eBay and build one but it's all about the enclosure, since that's where the control chip is. So I don't know if that would be a good idea. CompUSA usually has decently priced FW drives. But if you watch dealmac every day you'll find something good.

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:40 pm

This looks pretty cool, I might have to get one for myself

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item. ... OWCUSB2ATA

texlop
pushin' record

Post by texlop » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:02 am

That's actually not bad 25 bucks, I saw 80GB hard drives at bestbuy for 40 bucks. 65 dollars for an external hard drive is a steal.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:08 am

One of the reasons I went with an external was to make it easier to move between computers. has anybody had any success going between pc and mac? I have a maxtor, i can't find a format os9 and xp agree on.

phill2796
audio school graduate

Post by phill2796 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:25 pm

I use a 80gb USB 2.0 to move projects from our studio to my home studio.
I was going to get a enclosure it was 49.00 but for 59.00 got the 80 gb USB 2.0 setup. It was on sale at Comp USA.
Phillp Boshers
AudioGram Pro
Nashville Tn.

mungojeff
audio school

Post by mungojeff » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:58 pm

Mostly when people are talking about external drives they mention firewire, but are external USB drives usable at all for recording?

SFTapeOpBoy
audio school

Post by SFTapeOpBoy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:27 am

I use an external FireWire drive with my laptop for mobile recording. No problems recording for 45min-1hr straight with 16 tracks @44.1/16bit. FireWire drives/cases from Granite Digital were recommended to me, and I'm using their "FIREVue FW 400-1394a 120GB" version. Very well built. http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/p ... rewirecase.

Steve E.

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:58 pm

I use the Glyph GT-103 and it rocks. Plus it's specifically designed for pro audio purposes. A bit on the pricey side but well worth it for the piece of mind and support you get with Glyph.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:27 pm

the general consensus seems to be the the USB bus is too slow for tracking.

as far as moving files between computers I guess it would be fine
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:21 am

mungojeff wrote:Mostly when people are talking about external drives they mention firewire, but are external USB drives usable at all for recording?
USB2 should be fine (it's theoretically in the same ballpark as firewire) but USB (1.0 or 1.1) is 1/10th the bandwidth.

DH
audio school graduate

Post by DH » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:24 pm

with only one firewire port on my g4 powerbook, i'm relegated to using the internal drive for my 002. i installed a 7200 rpm 60 gig drive which works well, but kills the battery faster.