How many people use external Hard Drives...

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
maz
buyin' a studio

Re: How many people use external Hard Drives...

Post by maz » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:07 pm

DH wrote:with only one firewire port on my g4 powerbook, i'm relegated to using the internal drive for my 002. i installed a 7200 rpm 60 gig drive which works well, but kills the battery faster.
FYI, you can chain a FW drive off of your 002. No problem.

DH
audio school graduate

Post by DH » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:33 pm

you know, for years i've been able to do that, but it seems like the new osx or pt version won't allow that. i hear this stuff about going to the "workspace " and making it an authorized drive but i can't seem to find it.

powerbook g4 1 gig
7200 rpm 60 gig
1 gig memory
osx 10.3.6
pt 6.4
002 r

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:11 pm

I haven't read previous posts yet, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. I used to keep my audio drive externally. I don't anymore. The main reason was because it was too loud, since it had its own fan. It was connected via firewire. Now I just keep the second harddrive in my PC case. The main reason for seperating OS/program installations and audio/art was so I can reload Windows on the main drive if I have to. I grew tired of losing song data or moving it to another harddrive whenever I had a major problem with Windows. I haven't had any major problems recently, but I still like that extra bit of insurance.

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:13 pm

Check the stores each week, you can usually find a Seagate, maxtor, or Western Digital for not much, and check www.dealsonic.com for enclosures. I made a 160 gig maxtor with a dealsonic case about 8 months ago for a total of $120 (the drive was $90, bought by a client so I could do his project), I'm sure it would be a lot less now. I've had no problems with it yet. You need to make sure the case uses the oxford 911 chipset. Also, we chained from an 002 the other day with no problem, but we were using a PC. Good luck.

DH
audio school graduate

Post by DH » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:25 pm

Yeah, i bought this dead quiet western digital 120 gig with hopes of using it, but with it i get the 6085 and the 6093 increase playback buffer note. oh well, i found that i could use the old glyph 30 gig so maybe i'm in business. thanks for your help.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:51 pm

DH wrote:you know, for years i've been able to do that, but it seems like the new osx or pt version won't allow that. i hear this stuff about going to the "workspace " and making it an authorized drive but i can't seem to find it.
yeah, it's doable... you go to the workspace via one of the menus in the toolbar somewhere to the right of the screen- maybe "window" or "display". Once you open the workspace window, you'll see all of your connected drives. You'll see a bunch of columns, and one of them will be labeled "A" and one will be labeled "V". Those stand for Audio and Video. Under the Audio column, make sure the drive you want to record on has an "R" in it as opposed to a "T" or a "P". R is for record, T for transfer, and P for playback. It's a good thing that Digi did to prevent audio files from ending up on non-audio drives, but it seems that pref. changes randomly.

DH
audio school graduate

Post by DH » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:36 am

ok thanks,
i'd never done that in protools. i'd always looked for it under the finder thinking it was a system adjustment. i found it and changed it. thanks again.