Digitraxx/even cheaper mAudio/1010LT pres?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
rdc
studio intern

Digitraxx/even cheaper mAudio/1010LT pres?

Post by rdc » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:15 am

So I'm looking to get a quick and dirty audio interface and found www.digitraxx.com who are selling mAudio products for less than I normally see them (mobilepre-USB=$129, Audiophile-USB=$169). They seem reputable, but that could all be BS....anyone ever heard of them?

In general the Tascam 2Ch USB interface seems more highly regarded....why?

Also anyone know anytong about mAudio's 1010LT PCI card...in therory it seems tempting to get 6/8 line in/out with my two preamps for an extra $40....but fitting all that on a PCI card just seems to make for even worse sound than the cheapo USB boxes. Plus when I do get a mixer or some better pres then I'll still have 8Ch In/Out (and from using the search people seem pretty happy with the 1010LT's AD/DA). But the pres still need to be "good enough" to get me by for a while. Can anyone comment on how its pres compare to the other budget boxes out there?

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Re: Digitraxx/even cheaper mAudio/1010LT pres?

Post by spankenstein » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:19 am

I bought my old 1010 LT from digitraxx. I also just bought SONAR 4 from them last week and expect it today or tomorrow. I've had good luck dealing with them.

The 1010LT is fine. Don't count on using the preamps. They sound good they are just VERY hot and I could rarely use them without overloading them. I just switched them to line level and ran my mixer in like the otehr channels. Also since there is no phantom on them no condessors without a seperate power supply. I never noticed any major noise on mine and highly reccomend it as a well functioning card.

rdc
studio intern

Post by rdc » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:54 pm

So in other words if I need 2CH of pres to tide me over for a while I'd be better off getting one of the USB boxes rather than the 1010LT?

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:57 pm

NO! IMO USB == Crap for audio.

Either PCI or firewire is what I would suggest.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:44 pm

wow, usb is crap even though 2.0 is faster than firewire? maybe it has nothing to do with speed?

i use the 1010lt, which has 8 ins and 8 outs. the 2 xlr inputs can be jumpered to accept line level signals. i used 2 for a while with no problems.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:01 pm

Name some USB 2.0 Audio interfaces (the behringer one doesn't count though :-P )

I've steered clear of USB because of the bandwidth/I/O limits. Also in my experience overall has been that firewire is a much more reliable and robust interface.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:21 pm

dunno i steer clear of serial audio interfaces, i was just wondering hahahaha :lol:

i need to be able to bring in at least 16 channels, so i am more comfortable with pci
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs