the new G5s--best option?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

the new G5s--best option?

Post by jaguarundi » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:33 pm

My powerbook is starting to die on me and I'm thinking about getting one of the new dual processor G5s. When I go through the process on their website there is a million options to choose from, like getting a new car, from memory to garageband to bluetooth.

I will be using it mostly for multitracking and DAW's (i'm using Logic now). If you have a G5, could you share your experience and what you think the most crucial options are for a recording-studio grade machine?

thanks!
Adam

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: the new G5s--best option?

Post by sonikbliss » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:56 pm

RAM and processor speed are the ones to max out.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:57 pm

is RAM the same as memory?

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:28 pm

yes.

The dual G5's can have up to 8Gigs of RAM which is way more than you really need for audio purposes. Depending on whether you are running alot of RAM intensive programs or not, I would say usually 1 to 2 Gigs is sufficient. The G5's have 8 RAM slots and I believe you have to add RAM in pairs. I would start out with two 512MB sticks of RAM (which will give you 1Gig total) and if you need more you can always add them later.

It's also cheaper if you buy the RAM from a third party and install it yourself instead of getting it from Apple.

u6crash
audio school

Post by u6crash » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:59 pm

I bought a G4 about four years ago with 1.2 Gb of RAM and thought that was more than enough. The next time I buy a computer, I'll probably spring for a minimum of 2Gb.

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:44 am

I'd come back here and list all the options you were thinking about and find out which ones you can get somewhere else (starting with the monitor and the RAM). Apple makes great computers, but they charge an arm and a leg for most of the options. I only consider them to have three G5 products - the three levels of towers with no extras. It's pretty easy to make a decision then.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:56 am

How much of a difference do you think there really is between the 1.8 and 2.0 dual processors in regards to recording and the future to come?

also, I was thinking about gettting a monitor somewhere else. do you have an opinion on which ones are good?

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:04 pm

viewsonic monitors are pretty good, samsung are decent to and a little cheaper. am i wrong in that i believe no audio programs at this point utilize the dual processer configuration?
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:31 pm

ihavecomputer wrote:viewsonic monitors are pretty good, samsung are decent to and a little cheaper. am i wrong in that i believe no audio programs at this point utilize the dual processer configuration?
I think Nuendo does and maybe Logic? I know Logic can use the processors of multiple computers at the same time. I'm not sure though, I mostly use ProTools.

digital19
alignin' 24-trk

Post by digital19 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:58 pm

I'd max out the processor speed.

You can buy ram from other sources way cheaper than from the Mac store.

I use Logic with 2 gb ram, pretty massive computer imho (coming from the pc world anyway)

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:29 pm

ihavecomputer wrote:viewsonic monitors are pretty good, samsung are decent to and a little cheaper. am i wrong in that i believe no audio programs at this point utilize the dual processer configuration?
Well sort of, but not quite. PT will use no more than 85% processing power with a single, and if you have dual processors, than PT can use up to 99% on one and the other is dedicated to running your computer.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:41 pm

gotcha, well i'm sure full dual processer support will be built into the next gen of all good audio apps anyway so that alone shouldn't be a determining factor. plus if you end up working with video (final cut 4) it'll be a godsend.

digital19
alignin' 24-trk

Post by digital19 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:56 pm

Yeah.. .Final Cut is pretty amazing.

If you really want to save on monitors you can always just pick up two used 17 inch VGA monitors... it's a lot of screen, and you should be able to find them for about $60 a piece. That and one DVI-VGA adapter from the Mac store and you're set.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:21 pm

i personally prefer using dual monitors, and like you said it can be a hell of a lot cheaper.

how much of an improvement do you see in using logic with 2GB of ram say over 1G? (assuming we're talking >333mhz ddr on a board with >2ghz cpu.)

digital19
alignin' 24-trk

Post by digital19 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:33 pm

It seems more stable.. For using EXS24 -> tons/much more stable

I'd like to get Reaktor eventually to see how far I can push it, but for now it's more than adequate.