KVM Switch

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
mrc
re-cappin' neve

KVM Switch

Post by mrc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:12 am

I don't usually get too worked up over products. For the last year, I've been agonizing over hardware vs software KVM's. With a hard earned christmas gift of cash ;) I took the plunge and bought a Zonet KVM 3004 4 port. What a treat! Running it with a dell 19 inch crt @ 1152 x 864 x 75 mhz on a lowly Geforce 440 maddog dual head, in single head mode on an Acorp 815 chipset dual P3 as the main monitor, and as the secondary on a slightly better Geforce 5200fx maddog dual head on a Asus A7N8X-E with a microsoft optical mouse and house brand keyboard; I have to say this thing kicks major ass. It's pure plug and play sex. It powers over the connections, though you can use a wall wart if you don't already have enough of those. Double hit the Numlock, and choose 1-4 for your computers connected to it. You can boot them all at once and they think they have a monitor, mouse and keyboard connected. Sweet. I can already see that it may be best to use a mouse for both machines, but sharing the 2nd monitor from the 1st machine and the keyboard seems fine. Too many monitors in the bridge area are not a good thing, and the desk is always full of %^&* already, let alone multiple computer keys. One of my concerns was that I was already using long cable extensions for the mouse, keyboard and monitors, but the additional cable seems to be no problem at all. The 4 sets of KVM cables that come with it are bitchin' quality and would probably cost more than the $48.00 US I paid for the whole shootin' match, plus tax, huntin' license, gas and alcohol consumed during the hunt :) This may just make fxteleport happen, if I can get the demo to work over firewire lan....my 100 and 1 gig lan connections are busy lanning for lemmings...I'd like to try midi over lan to other boxes and other things. This puppy earns the *Git Woneadese* award of the year. Smooth switches, and great video through it. If nothing else, I'll have a kick ass duallie surf box :) It even cuts through the fog and beeps your ass when you switch.
mrc

dracon
audio school graduate

Re: KVM Switch

Post by dracon » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:11 pm

I have a dual switchbox (Belkin), but I got the one where I coudl get audio through the switchbox so that I didn't have to run two sets of PC speakers. I've since gotten rid of my second computer and it nothing more than an additional piece of equipment on my desk. Maybe something it will get used again.
"It's full of stars"
2001 a Space Oddessy.