firewire hard drive problem w/ mac

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
PT
pushin' record

firewire hard drive problem w/ mac

Post by PT » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:51 am

I have a mirror front dual processor G4. Are there any known firewire issues with these machines?

I bought a PPA firewire hard drive. It works great with my old, tired-ass blue/grey G4 w/ OS9. But it's really slow and acts wierd with my newer, fast-ass G4 running OSX.

I sent the drive back to Pacific Pro Audio and the drive tested good. I beiieve them because it does work great. Just not with my new computer.

Any thoughts?

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: firewire hard drive problem w/ mac

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:01 am

do you have it formatted for OS9 and OSX?

If not, back up everything on the drive to your OS9 computer and reformat the drive on your OSX computer using disk utility. Format it to: Mac OS X Extended (do NOT use Journaling) and make sure the Install OS9 drivers option is checked. After this it should work with both computers.

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:11 am

sonikbliss wrote:do you have it formatted for OS9 and OSX?

If not, back up everything on the drive to your OS9 computer and reformat the drive on your OSX computer using disk utility. Format it to: Mac OS X Extended (do NOT use Journaling) and make sure the Install OS9 drivers option is checked. After this it should work with both computers.
It is formatted for both OS9 and OSX, extended, not journaled. It really seems like the problem is on the Mac's side, not the hard drive's side. But my Mac seems just fine other than not working well with this hard drive. I wish I had another firewire device to see if the problem is really with the Mac.

I have woe.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:30 pm

Yup, there are some known issues with FW on MDD model G4's. Do you have other FW devices connected?

The best, easiest solution would be to get a FW PCI card ($30 or so) and connect the drives to that.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:47 pm

bombastique wrote:Yup, there are some known issues with FW on MDD model G4's. Do you have other FW devices connected?

The best, easiest solution would be to get a FW PCI card ($30 or so) and connect the drives to that.
No, I don't have any other FW devices. So I can't be sure it's the Mac or the drive. But I really think it's the Mac at this point.

I just found out about the FW PCI card thing. I will look into this.