Convert to ProTools from Vegas/Sonar? What price ubiquity??

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
groover
gettin' sounds

Convert to ProTools from Vegas/Sonar? What price ubiquity??

Post by groover » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:26 pm

I have a PC-based DAW system I have been using Sonic Foundry Vegas, which I love. But it doesn't do any MIDI so I also use Sonar (which I dont love as much) when I need to do sequencing. I am due for a DAW upgrade, which leads me to consider the following issue:
I want to be able to work with outside clients as much as I can. ProTools seems to be the most common choice out there, but I'm not sure it's the best program. Many people ask "Do you have ProTools?" And there is the situation of working with clients who have started projects elsewhere.
So.... I am considering whether the advantages of using ProTools because it is so standardized/ubiquitous are worth the downsides, ie Learning curve of new software, higher cost and the related factors - incompatibility of my directX plugins and my delta 1010 interface.
Also, does anyone use the term "protools" in a generic use (as in kleenex vs. Kleenex), to refer to ANY computer-based DAW system? I hate always having to qualify my answer as in "I have digital recording but I use a different sofware..."
I would especially like to hear from producers/engineers who are having a successful time working with clients using platforms other than ProTools.
Thanks

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Re: Convert to ProTools from Vegas/Sonar? What price ubiquit

Post by Everybody's X » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:45 am

I guess we may just be uninformed out here in the sticks, but I have NEVER had a band ask me if I have pro-tools. I see from the board that it happens alot, but honestly, the bands listen to mixes I've done and they want to record with me,or they don't. I've had a couple of guys ask "what program is that?" but usually they're just making conversation between takes.

I have had guys come in with OMF files that I just open up in nuendo and go to work with.

I think Digi wants to perpetuate this idea that you will lose business if your not running a PT rig, but I haven't seen it here. YMMV
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Re: Convert to ProTools from Vegas/Sonar? What price ubiquit

Post by spankenstein » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:34 am

Everybody's X wrote:I guess we may just be uninformed out here in the sticks, but I have NEVER had a band ask me if I have pro-tools. I see from the board that it happens alot, but honestly, the bands listen to mixes I've done and they want to record with me,or they don't. I've had a couple of guys ask "what program is that?" but usually they're just making conversation between takes.

I have had guys come in with OMF files that I just open up in nuendo and go to work with.

I think Digi wants to perpetuate this idea that you will lose business if your not running a PT rig, but I haven't seen it here. YMMV
Same deal here man, no one cares what you use. I've had a couple people ask why I didn't use ProTools, but it was more inquisitive than condescending.

The cgarges thread about the client and ProTools got me thinking that most people I know and work with aren't interested in new techy gear. They like tube amps, simple techniques, old guitars. I just did some tracking with a band that actually requested "minimal mics on the drums." I had recorded them before and jsut used overheads, kick and snare. He actually requested no snare mic and more room mic! :shock:

KC really is a little vaccum muscially though, there's not enough outside influence to bring us up to what the rest of the world is doing.