help....digital clicks/glitches on my recordings

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
bloodvessel
audio school

help....digital clicks/glitches on my recordings

Post by bloodvessel » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:16 pm

i'm pretty new to recording on a computer. anyway, i'm using an ibookg4 with a m audio mobile pre. i've been recording old 4 track tapes through the preamp into audacity. so i thought it was going alright however i'm getting these irritating clicks every couple of minutes on my recordings. do you have any idea what would cause these/what i could do to get rid of them?

thanks....

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: help....digital clicks/glitches on my recordings

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:54 am

Sounds like a digital jitter/clocking problem. I'm not familiar with the m-audio mobile pre; but I've experienced problems with converters overloading and then outputting clicks. Turn the unit off and restarting typically can fix it. Is it happening all of the time? Are you watching the levels going into the m-audio unit? Just a thought.

Andrew Weatherhead
audio school graduate

Post by Andrew Weatherhead » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:56 pm

Do the clicks occur randomly? Or do they have somewhat equal intervals between them?

hayes4405
audio school

Post by hayes4405 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:36 pm

You could have burned your cd at too fast of a speed...that sometimes puts clicks in my burn.

Groovespace
audio school graduate

Post by Groovespace » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:37 am

I use a Mobilbe-Pre all the time with no drop outs on a 1.6ghz laptop with only 256 RAM. I record @ 44100-Hz 24-bit format and it sounds fine. I play bass in a band and we use this setup to record rehersals.

Check the bit rate on the Mobile-Pre. Try lowering it.
I have Audacity on an 800mhz/768 MB RAM machine running Mandrake 10.0 Linux. I've tried it out recording WAV files and mic inputs. With the bit format set to 32 bit float, I get lots of dropouts or "clicks" as you call them. With the bit format set to 24 bit, no drop outs.

Some questions for you...
What operating system?
How Much RAM?
What speed processor?
If it grooves record it.

oxfist
gettin' sounds

Post by oxfist » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:50 am

i won't pretend that i know a lot about macs, but when i first got started on pc i got a lot of clicks and pops that were related to my card and settings, but i also had a lot of clicks and distortion because of power settings, and screen savers. maybe something to look into.