powerbook noisy?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

powerbook noisy?

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:25 am

Hey everybody,

I'm thinking about getting a powerbook or an ibook...in your experience, is one louder or quieter than the other?

I'm also trying to figure out if the powerbook is woth it. And I promise I've UTFS and I'm still curious. Anyone have experience with both?

The only difference I can really find is the 33 or something mhz buss speed difference and the spanning monitors thing. The monitor thing isn't a huge deal to me....this won't be my main recording thing yet.

Crap, thanks for any input.

kelly

brew
pushin' record

Re: powerbook noisy?

Post by brew » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:11 pm

There's actually a software hack for the iBook that allows for spanning monitors, so you could rule that one out. The real advantage of the Powerbook IMO is the greater number of I/O's, but you can always get add-on cards for the iBook. I haven't compared side to side, but I use an iBook and Powerbook daily and don't have any complaints with either as far as noise goes. I think they're both plenty fast for audio work. Don't forget that YOU MUST factor in the cost of a firewire drive. The top of the line iBook with extra RAM looks like a pretty good deal to me. I think you'll be happy with either one.