iBook recording q's

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
wbangs
audio school

iBook recording q's

Post by wbangs » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:42 pm

I'm trying to record onto Garageband using my iBook G4...I have looked into an adaptor cable from griffen technology that converts 1/4 phono to 1/8 stereo mini...I only have one stereo mini jack on my computer, and I'm not sure if it's audio input or audio output. help?? I also am trying to figure out if I can plug my mic 1/4" into this "guitar cable" adaptor and record onto my computer.

fremitus
pushin' record

Re: iBook recording q's

Post by fremitus » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:05 pm

that 1/8th inch jack on yer iBook is a headphone out. you have many many options to get sound in. to stay cheap? go and get the griffin iMic. super simple and around $30, bump it up to $100 or so and get a Tascam US-122, now we're talking burrito supreme... it's got phantom power, 24bits, better monitoring, all that monkey jazz. wanna spend more?

EletrikGutar182
alignin' 24-trk

Re: iBook recording q's

Post by EletrikGutar182 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:54 am

I bought the iMic for my ibook...its great, small, and handy, but you have to have watch your levels going into the mic and going into the computer, as well, or any mic will distort real fast. Actually, the built in mic isnt too bad...ive used it many times to just quickly record some ideas on an acoustic guitar. Don't know how it would sound for say drums though.