what cubase version do you use?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
AdamO
audio school graduate

what cubase version do you use?

Post by AdamO » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:59 pm

Hello,
I have UTFSF. Glad I got that off my chest.
Now, for all the Cubase users out there,
I am considering investing in cubase to record at home with. I have a Delta 44 in my PC (P4 1.6G, 1G of ram).
I know that SX is up on high as the be all and end all. But for the musician who is demoing his songs at home, what version of Cubase would you suggest? I am interested in hearing from people that have tried different versions (se, sl, sx, VST, etc)and chosen one, and what their reasons are.
Thanks for your time.
-Adam
f**k live!
-C. Jennings, when asked "but how do I recreate this on stage?", on recording my last album.

AdamO
audio school graduate

Re: what cubase version do you use?

Post by AdamO » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:42 am

wow.. taboo subjject?
You don't HAVE to have used all of them.. maybe just brag about the version you have?
-Adam
f**k live!
-C. Jennings, when asked "but how do I recreate this on stage?", on recording my last album.

AdamO
audio school graduate

Post by AdamO » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:00 pm

So.. 30 people have read this.. and NO ONE is replying?
Luckily I kind of answered my own question today and got a great deal on a SONAR upgrade, so this thread is dead baby,
Thread's dead.
*rides off on a chopper named Grace*
-Adam 8)
f**k live!

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:30 pm

I use the Neundo 2.0 version of Cubase :)

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:47 pm

ctmsound wrote:I use the Neundo 2.0 version of Cubase :)
Me too.

I think no one is answering because they don't know enough about the various versions of Cubase to give you the comparison you are looking for.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:02 pm

I could be wrong but aren't sl and se just limited versions of SX which is the current version of Cubase (SX 3.0 to be exact) out on the market. VST which culminated in VST/32 is an older version of cubase. SX isn't only an update but a totally revamped version with a totally different look and upgraded functionality and sound capabilities. Then there is Nuendo which is a supercharged version of Cubase which has many more functions but the same mix buss (or whatever you call it, I've been up for too long and my brain is going) as Cubase.

You said your recording just at home so you'll want Cubase SX 3.0, whether you want the SL or SE (or whatever other variations) version I don't know. You should goto the Cubase website and also check out some of the forums dedicated to Cubase to see what the differences are between each (I know some have track limitations, others are bundled with more plugins, stuff like that).

One other thing, I love Cubase and Nuendo and think they are some of the best audio programs out there, but I heard, and I once again I could be wrong, that Steinberg (the company that makes Cubase) was recently bought out by another company. The reason they could be important is Apple bought Logic some years back and made it a mac only program which pissed off a bunch of PC logic users, Adobe bought cool edit pro and I have heard a few negative things about the new version so sometimes such a purchase can bring negative consequences to the software. If such a rumor isn't true or they aren't planning any changes they go for it, Steinberg is a good company, they have a good upgrade path for Cubase users and Cubase itself has a solid reputation.

AdamO
audio school graduate

Post by AdamO » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:07 pm

Thank you for the feedback, but now that I found a price for my SONAR upgrade that didn't send me into shock, I have proceeded quite happily. Thanks again though.
-Adam
f**k live!

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:39 pm

meblumen wrote:One other thing, I love Cubase and Nuendo and think they are some of the best audio programs out there, but I heard, and I once again I could be wrong, that Steinberg (the company that makes Cubase) was recently bought out by another company. The reason they could be important is Apple bought Logic some years back and made it a mac only program which pissed off a bunch of PC logic users, Adobe bought cool edit pro and I have heard a few negative things about the new version so sometimes such a purchase can bring negative consequences to the software.
Steinberg got purchased by Yamaha. AFAICT this is more a play by Yamaha to expand into Steinberg territory, than the purchase of technology and resources that it intends to use for it's own ends. Yamaha doesn't have hundreds of software engineers for the Steinberg team to assimiulate into, as does Apple and Adobe.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:57 am

i use cubase SX 1.01 cuz i got it for free...

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:08 pm

I use Sonar 3 version of Cubase [soon to be 4] and Samplitude 7 Professional version of Cubase [very soon, I hope, to be version 8].

I have also used VST 32 version but don't like it as much. 8)
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:24 pm

bap wrote: I have also used VST 32 version but don't like it as much. 8)

Cubase VST is one horrible program.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:40 pm

Mr. Dipity wrote:

No its not. Sure compared to SX it may seem so but considering how old VST is, when it first came out it was considered to be quite good. The GUI is outdated, the mix bus isn't as good as SX/Nuendo's and it wasn't as efficient with CPU resources (being able to freeze tracks and pluggin handling) but the audio editing was fine, the midi sequencing was pretty good and overall it was a pretty stable and functional program.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:58 pm

meblumen wrote:
Mr. Dipity wrote:

No its not. Sure compared to SX it may seem so but considering how old VST is, when it first came out it was considered to be quite good. The GUI is outdated, the mix bus isn't as good as SX/Nuendo's and it wasn't as efficient with CPU resources (being able to freeze tracks and pluggin handling) but the audio editing was fine, the midi sequencing was pretty good and overall it was a pretty stable and functional program.
ETTO. I was comparing it to the other stuff that was around then. Where would you even get a copy today?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:33 am

Mr. Dipity wrote:

Why?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

DJDM
gettin' sounds

Post by DJDM » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:22 am

I don't use it much anymore at all so I still have VST 5.1r1. In fact I have not fired it up about two months. I plan to eventually move to SX but I find myself using Reason, Vegas and Sound Forge with a little Tracktion for tempo work in Reason. My version of Cubase is bulky and not all that reliable and I get great results with the much lower CPU hit from Tracktion in the limited capacity that I need a ReWire master for.
I just find my current workflow is expedited by not using it right now.