converting from ProTools to other editor

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
cafewalter
audio school graduate

converting from ProTools to other editor

Post by cafewalter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:51 pm

My band recently did some recording in ProTools at a studio. We'd like to try mixing at home, but we don't have PT. We've got all the files on hard disk. But, there's a gazillion little .wav files, all different lengths - I assume, at least one per track, or maybe even per punch-in. I assume that the PT session files contain the necessary information to line up all the .wavs.

So, is there a way to decipher the .pt files to figure out where the .wavs go, without needing PT? We'll probably be loading the project into something like Cubase or Tracktion or Ableton, depending on who does it.

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Re: converting from ProTools to other editor

Post by megajoe » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Pro Tools saves EVERYTHING you record. So everytime someone stopped and went "oops, let's redo that", it's on your hard drive. Unless someone erased some files, there is a file for every single time the record button was hit. You could save a lot of trouble by finding someone with PT, open the session, and find out which files you are actually using on the songs.

Now that I think about it, it seems that what you want to do would be a real pain in the ass, because if you have any files that start later than 00:00:00:00, then I think you will have to find where they line up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or verify that I'm right, that's just an assumption.

It seems like if you continue working on your project in PT, it will make life easier.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:44 pm

Only if those audio files were time-stamped and if your new program can read time-stamped audio. Either way you're in for a whole lotta headache.

A better idea would be to find someone with PT, open those sessions and consolidate all the audio on each track, then export as audio files, which you can then bring into any other program.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

cafewalter
audio school graduate

Post by cafewalter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:19 pm

Darn! I was hoping someone had written an open-source or shareware converter that would do the conversion for me - sort of a "read-only" version of PT. Guess we're in for some more studio dollars no matter what.

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:42 pm

If you know someone who is using Windows 98, 2000, or OS9, you can download pro tools free. It has tons of limitations, but you might be able to consolidate all those tracks on it, I'm not sure what PTfree can and can't do.

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:09 pm

Yeah, that's a really good idea. I spent a few months using the free version just to learn it before I purchased the real deal. The MBox is always an option, too.

cafewalter
audio school graduate

Post by cafewalter » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:34 pm

...you can download pro tools free. It has tons of limitations, but you might be able to consolidate all those tracks on it, I'm not sure what PTfree can and can't do.
I think we've got more tracks than will fit in PTFree. I should look into it, though, because that would be a great solution otherwise. Thanks for the tip.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:05 pm

I think dropping 60-100 bucks to get them 're-exported' at a PT capable studio is the best way to go about this. You dont need a fancy joint, just some one with PT. Just make sure everything starts at 00:00 and you orta be able to work in any of those programs. I know money is tight for most of us but trying to do what you're suggesting will give you an unfathomable case of the runs. I mean, I'm all for DIY but fuck that. You might also get some opinions/ideas from the engineer while you're waiting for it to export. Unless you're working on a double album epic progger, this should take less than 3 hours.

will

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:24 am

Another alternative, if you can find someone with PT, is to open the song/session file and save it as an OMF file, if your new application can read OMF format. I have Sonar 2 and it can do it. There are a few types of info that don't get save, such as some volume and panning info, but if you are going to be mixing anyway that doesn't sound like a big deal.

But consolidating the audio is definately a good way to go.

Good luck!!

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:13 pm

sometimes if I'm bouncing between programs and can't do an OMF.. I'll simply solo a track and bounce the whole thing (or until that audio ends for good on that track) then the next track, and so on.. untill I have all the tracks full audio from the 00:00:00.

This way you can just drop them into the other programs and line them all up at the beginning.

This doesn't help you now.. but you can do this down the road to save a headache.. especially if your program doesnt' read OMF
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:50 pm

The ironic thing here is that Avid developed the OMF standard... then they want PT users to pay $500 for digi translator. Evil evil evil.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:05 pm

I would go back to the studio where you recorded and get them to consolidate the files for free for you since it was their responsibility in the first place. Consolidating files at the end of a session should be mandatory by anyone who is charging for their services and consider themselves pro. If it was just a small home studio it's somewhat understandable but if it was a larger commercial studio it is unexceptable and should be fixed for free.