CD manufacturing companies-short run CD's

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
WilliamC
studio intern

CD manufacturing companies-short run CD's

Post by WilliamC » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:29 am

some months down the line I will be needing to reproduce CD's for sale.
I was wondering about many things regarding this,and hope somone is involved with this on this website so I can get some help.
Has anybody dealt with http://www.diskfaktory.com?Are they reliable?They provide 100 copies for $199 so I'm wondering.
Does anybody here know of good companies more or less in that price range?
Can anyone recommend tips for the artwork-what the best modus operandi(software,etc.)would be for the job?
Thanks all for your time. 8)

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Re: CD manufacturing companies-short run CD's

Post by andyg666 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:56 am

www.play-itproductions.net
fast, very reliable, does duping for Jive, Sony, Universal, Def Jam, Columbia, Verve, RoadRunner, etc... they specialize in small runs and quick turns. they have a great mastering room too. tell 'em andy sent you.

use quark or illustrator for graphics. but talk to the salesperson or graphic designer at the duping house FIRST cuz everone has their own specs.

WilliamC
studio intern

Post by WilliamC » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:00 am

wow-that was incredibly fast.I thank you. :D

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:07 pm

A guy I know went through DiskFaktory and said that there was damage to the jewel cases when they arrived, and they may have been late. I don't remember exactly, but he wasn't too happy.

I've used Omnidisc and DollarCD in the past. Both produce great product. In fact, I'm about to run some more through DollarCD's sister company, Short Run Music.

WilliamC
studio intern

Post by WilliamC » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:53 am

Yeah Ive heard about the damage to the cases thing.But Ive also heard that there is damage to some jewel cases most of the time regardless.
Bummer. :roll:

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:35 am

I use DollarCD, mainly because it's the cheapest place I've found.

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:49 pm

One of my friends used discfaktory for his bands CD, and it came back quieter than the master copy they sent in.

WilliamC
studio intern

Post by WilliamC » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:13 pm

Well,I'm no expert on the subject but I do suspect that there is always going to be some loss in the reproduction.And there are problems with some masters.

I havent seen a cheaper service-per value-than diskfactory though-which could be both bad and good. :lol:

WilliamC
studio intern

Post by WilliamC » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:41 pm

On the other hand Ive also heard that cdr's can be dead in 6 months as well so I'm also wondering about that.

WilliamC
studio intern

Post by WilliamC » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:22 am

This is why I ask these questions here-other boards are partialized as you will see below and one cannot get an impartial opinion on things.:

Hello all,I'm new here.I'm looking at reproducing my CD's and was wondering if anyone knew anything about diskfaktory.com.
Ive read mixed reviews around the internet so I though I might post here and get some feedback from anyone who may have used the service.
Thanks for your time,
william.
P.s.My intent is to sell music online.Would I need to copyright the record before I distribute/sell it-even though all the songs there have been copywritten beforehand?What is the phonograph copyright about?Thanks all.
[This message has been edited by billyboy2674 (edited 02-10-2005).]

IP: Logged

Brian Austin Whitney
Bard of the Boards
posted 02-10-2005 08:08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Disc Makers www.discmakers.com to manufacture your CD and CD Baby www.cdbaby.com to sell your music. Those two companies are rock solid and offer the most reliable service in their fields. Both are community partners with Just Plain Folks and we've known and worked with both companies since 1998 with essentially no complaints about either which is miraculous.
Brian

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:07 am

keep in mind--short run is not manufacturing. it's CD burning. no company can make less than 500 real CDs for you. and if you're getting 500, it's like $100 more to get 1000. CDr technology has come a long way. you shouldn't have a problem with your CDr copies not being compatible with any player, nor should they crap out after 6 months unless you're not taking care of them. you can expect 10 years or most likely much more out of a good CDr.

with CDs, there should be absolutely no difference between your master and your copies. none at all whatsoever in any way shape or form. if there is (like it being quieter) you're using an unprofessional duplication company that is using crappy equipment or isn't doing something right.

cheapest is not always best--you get what you pay for... spend the extra cash to get reliable copies from a good company. i reccomend play-it productions because i work there, but i don't get a commission if you call up. i just don't want to see you get "burned" by some lesser, cheaper competition.

www.play-itproductions.net

WilliamC
studio intern

Post by WilliamC » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:18 pm

well,a little more info on prices would've been nice.
I'm not much into a company with absolutely no liability for their work.
But I do thank you for the warning. :lol:

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:16 pm

I might be mistaken, but the guy I know who used DiskFaktory said that at least half of his jewel cases were smashed, not a normal couple like you would expect.

The CDs I had made at Omnidisc were shipped to me from Canada and arrived with no broken cases that I remember. I had 100 made with a 4/1 Tray, full color on disc, 4/1 6 panel (2 fold) insert, and shrinkwrap for $3.25 a piece. Of course, the shipping was about $60 from Canada. I checked their site the other day though and I think they have slightly raised their prices. I used them a couple years ago.

I used Dollar CD last year. I had 50 copies of a compilation I put together duplicated. Dollar CDs cost just $1 per CD, which include black and white on disc print and black and white print for the front and back of the cardboard sleeve. The CDs were shrinkwrapped. Shipping is $1 per CD, though never over $10. The only problem I had was the time it took to get my CDs. It took about 2 months after sending in my materials to receive my finished product. I have spoken with them within the last month though, and they assured me they can get my next run of 50 CDs (half of which will be full color - yes they cost a little more) done in a week. I'm going to assume that doesn't include time to ship it here.

WilliamC
studio intern

Post by WilliamC » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:58 pm

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote:I might be mistaken, but the guy I know who used DiskFaktory said that at least half of his jewel cases were smashed, not a normal couple like you would expect.
This is what I mean-no liability on their part.
I'm wondering what the costs of doing all this at home would be.Maybe a little steep for sure,but I would also avoid all the pitfalls of companies who dont seem to care much about your money-other than having it credited to their accounts.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:13 pm

The cost of doing it at home will depend on how you package your CD as well as what equipment you have to use. What cost me $3.25 per CD at Omnidisc cost me over $4 a piece by initially doing it at home, let alone the time I put into it.

1.) Burning CDs one at a time is very boring.
2.) Applying adhesive CD labels is tedius and if you don't do it right, it could effect the playback of your CD. You can get printable CD-Rs, but you need a special printer to print them, and I've heard they are a bit of a mess to deal with (ink not drying within a 24 hour period).
3.) I don't own a shrinkwrapping machine?
4.) The cost of my printer ink was pretty rediculous too.

I'm a home studio musician. I love to take on multiple roles. Burning my own CDs was not one of them. :)