Tracktion problem--won't write to disk

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Tracktion problem--won't write to disk

Post by Winstontaneous » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:27 pm

I installed the free version of Tracktion (1.6.1 or whatever) that was on Mackie's site last year. I have it on two computers, a 4-year old Dell with Window$ ME, and a new HP with XP. The Dell/ME install works fine, but when I press record on the HP I get a notice that the folder I set for Tracktion files during installation (C:/MyDocuments/MyMusic) doesn't exist or is not writeable.

I am certain that it exists and I can save music files from other software (Live, Reason, Kristal) as well as ripped CD sound files. When I click on the Properties of the My Music folder though, the "read-only" box is checked. When I uncheck the box and close/reopen Properties it always comes back checked. I've tried doing it through the Control Panel and Administrator settings but the same thing always happens.

I'm used to Linux where you can definitively change permissions, either on the command line or via GUI. Not sure whether this is a Tracktion or XP glitch. I suppose I could reinstall, but...any suggestions?