How do you hook up outboard Equipment to Digi 002?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
sricabla
audio school graduate

How do you hook up outboard Equipment to Digi 002?

Post by sricabla » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:04 pm

I want to try to hook up my Lexicon reverb to my pro tools setup before I buy a reverb plugin. How do you do it?

Thanks in advance

ctmsound
george martin

Re: How do you hook up outboard Equipment to Digi 002?

Post by ctmsound » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:53 pm

There are 8 1/4 TRS outputs on the 002. Use however many you need as your "aux sends", then route the outputs of the lexicon box back into the 1/4" line inputs of the 002. Pretty simple.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:40 pm

I would suggest that you test for latency when sending out and back in. It won't be a lot but if you test it you can slide the track back to the right spot.

Test with a recorded click, send it out and back in with a patch cord. Zoom in to see the latency.

If you care.

I do.

:wink:
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

sricabla
audio school graduate

Post by sricabla » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:12 am

I've tried that and I get a level and feedback.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:47 am

Connect the reverb to an open set of inputs and outputs on the 002.

Create a stereo Aux Input track and insert the Lexicon on it by going to an insert and choosing Interface>Analog ** (** being the inputs and output you connected the Lexicon to on the back of the 002).

Change the input tab of the Aux Input track to an open bus and the output to your main analog outs (1-2).

To send a channel to the Lexicon, setup a Send on a track and route it to the bus that is the input bus on the Aux Input track. This will route it thru the Lexicon and back to the main outs.

You could also insert the Lexicon onto a track just by going to the insert on the track and choosing Interface>Analog **. Keep in mind this will send the ENTIRE track thru the Lexicon, so you'll make your wet/dry mix settings on the Lexicon itself in this case.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:51 am

Ah hell -scratch that. Just route the send on any channel directly to the Lexicon, then create an Aux Input track with it's input set to the inputs you've connected the outputs of the Lexicon to.

The first method I gave allows you to chain other FX after the Lexicon, but you may not necessarily want to do that. I guess it's up to you which method you prefer.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:57 pm

I've tried that and I get a level and feedback.
Main thing to make sure of is that you're not sending the lexicon back out to itself (unless you're into that sorta thing). either of bombastique's suggestions orta work for you.

bombastique wrote:The first method I gave allows you to chain other FX after the Lexicon, but you may not necessarily want to do that. I guess it's up to you which method you prefer.
I think both methods allow that. just add the plugins to the aux input track. the first one would give you a single overall aux send volume control though.

Sric, If you never use, say 7-8, you can actually rename them 'lexicon send' and 'lexicon return' IO setup. This helps me get it all sorted.

sricabla
audio school graduate

Post by sricabla » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:24 am

Would there be any advantage using SPDIF instead of the analog in and outs to connect the reverb?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:10 am

You'd save yourself some conversion out and back in, so yeah--I'd try it both ways. I have a setup description I copied off the web awhile back on how to set this up if you're interested.

sricabla
audio school graduate

Post by sricabla » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:56 am

Thanks everyone for your input. Al Huero If you can find that piece of info. I guess the SPDIF route is the best to take for my Lexicon.

Thanks everyone!

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:01 am

Here you go. It basically covers set up for any outboard connection; only in this case it's specific to using the S/PDIF connections rather than analog ins & outs.

You need to set the 001/002/002R so its S/PDIF port sends only the signal intended for your effects unit. The procedure is as follows:
1.Go under "Setups" and choose "Playback Engine"
2.Click "YES" to confirm.
3.Make sure your "OPTICAL" format is " ADAT"
4.Disable (take away the check) "Enable S/PDIF Mirroring". (This can cause a feedback loop!)
5.Click "Done"
6.Make sure the "Sync Mode" is set to "Internal"
7.Click "OK"
8.If you get a message stating your I/O setup has changed, click "OK"
9.Now go to "Setups" and choose "I/O Setup".
10.Click on the "Input" tab in the top left corner, and then hit the " Default" button in the bottom left corner. Do this for the "Output," "Insert," and "Bus" tabs as well. This will correctly rename all of your I/O's in the Pro Tools software.
11.When done press the "OK" button.
12.Now go under "File," choose "New Track" and create 1 "Stereo Aux Input"
13.Look at the Mix Window and find the new Aux Track. Assign its INPUT to "S/PDIF". Its output should remain at "Analog 1+2"
14.Now you can use the sends on any Audio or Aux tracks and set them to "Interface--S/PDIF"
15.The Send Fader will determine how much signal is sent to the effects unit. Your effects unit should be set to 100% Wet.
16.Make sure your effects unit's Clock is set to "External". This way you won't get any Clicks and pops when using the FX device.
17.If you can't set your effects unit's clock to External, you can change ProTools "Sync Mode" (Found under Setups/Hardware to "S/PDIF". Now the Digi001/002/002R will clock to the effects Units clock.