G4/G5 noise.

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

G4/G5 noise.

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:43 pm

Interesting. I had to chat up the tech services guys at my school today. One of them has a fancy G5. Just a week ago I was totally on the fence about a new computer...I really wanted something quieter since I record everything on my own, in the same room. I read about the G5; supposedly it's really quiet. Well, not the one this guy had! It whined and spun discs like my G4 pretty much.

Just a thought if you're considering a G5...go listen to it before getting on the horn to the Apple Store.

kb

ctmsound
george martin

Re: G4/G5 noise.

Post by ctmsound » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:50 pm

The G5s I have heard are damn quiet. He probably has some dust build up inside, that'll do it.

Antero
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Antero » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:48 pm

My mom's G5 is silent... of course, she's a pro photographer, so noise isn't her main concern, but it doesn't seem to make any noise.
I hate my species.
Spatata
Chuckie Anvil

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:53 am

My G5 is whisper quiet as well - sometimes,under heavy processor load, the fans will spin up a bit, but nothing near what my G4 would do.

Granted - if you put a cd/dvd in, the drive noise from that is quite a bit louder, but why the hell would you have a cd or dvd in the drive when you're working on music?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:01 am

Hmmm. His must be jacked!

kb

qqquantity
audio school

Post by qqquantity » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:24 pm

Yes, sounds like it has a bad thermostat. The G5 fans respond independently to the temp in their particular "cooling zone". So the only way it would be as loud as a G4 is if they were all running at max... this should only happen if the room is really hot... I'd say call Apple tech support.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:41 pm

My G5 dual 2G is whisper quiet except for the occasional whirr during a heavy operation but only for a few seconds.

I've noticed that if the plastic airflow barrier (inbeween the outershell door casing and the innards) is loose or missing the fans are REALLY loud.

When I put my UAD card in and then I accidently left out the plastic air-flow once I booted my computer it sounded like a 747. Also if it's not properly placed (locked) then the air flow could be disturbed.

Hopefully that makes sense... I don't know the proper term for the inner cover (I've never seen on on other computers). It's different from the outer cover. So yeah, without the air flow inner cover (or if it's not seated correctly) the fans make constant noise.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:27 pm

I believe the dual 2.5s are louder than the rest. I got one at the end of 04 and was very disappointed at their volume. I think they get hot pretty quick. Sucks.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb