Huntlabs
pushin' record

Re: PT outboard latency

Post by Huntlabs » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:40 am

trevord wrote:ok
i just did a test with
PIII 800 Mhz Intel running Win98SE with 1 gig of ram
audio was layla 20 using ASIO drivers
i set the buffer size to 16384 (thats right! 341 ms of delay for buffer alone)

play back thru layal 1.2 into layla 3.4 and recorded

wav offset was 7 samples

this is with n-track which costs $30.
It is kinda amazing that Digi / PT cant do away with this latency. I know that they changed their compensation from 6.1.1 to 6.4cs. So WTF Digi?

I've been thinking about it and I wonder if n-track just shifts the part forward x amount, that is equal to the DA and back to AD, all the time. Because it isn't an issue if you are not tracking to some signal comming from inside the box. Do you identify your Layla 20 or the ASIO drivers when you set up n-tracks? Maybe the program is smart enough to detect it all on its' own. Unlike PT 6.4.

I've read at the DUC that 6.7, the next version up but won't run on a 001, fixes this problem. I'll try and test it when I get around a 002 / 6.7.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:20 am

Huntlabs wrote:
I've been thinking about it and I wonder if n-track just shifts the part forward x amount, that is equal to the DA and back to AD, all the time.
that is exactly what ALL programs are supposed to do
but there are reasons why they dont
the main reason ASIO drivers are so accurate is (i think) a method for the soundcard to report the actual latency
most software just takes this latancy and shifts the waveform left
all systems have the delay its just a question either shifting by hand or the software shifting automaticaly
and how the software determines how much to shift
Huntlabs wrote: Because it isn't an issue if you are not tracking to some signal comming from inside the box. Do you identify your Layla 20 or the ASIO drivers when you set up n-tracks? Maybe the program is smart enough to detect it all on its' own. Unlike PT 6.4.
yes i have to identify the drivers
one of the reasons n-track cost $30 is the author (only one) does not spend much code effort on auto-configuration
instead he displays every single system configuration option ad nauseum
its great for older slower systems like mine but is probably a pain for most people
Huntlabs wrote: I've read at the DUC that 6.7, the next version up but won't run on a 001, fixes this problem. I'll try and test it when I get around a 002 / 6.7.
in digi's defense
the problem with these things is standardization and quality control

digi probably spends more on quality control on the rev update for one product than this guy makes in a year

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:46 pm

I went to Guitar Center today and tested latency on a Mac iMac, 002R, PT6.7, 44.1 / 24.

Just used a patch chord from #4 out to #7 in....

Latency was 92 Samples....

WTF? Guess 6.7 didn't fix the latency issue. Any ideas?
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:59 pm

Huntlabs wrote:I went to Guitar Center today and tested latency on a Mac iMac, 002R, PT6.7, 44.1 / 24.

maybe there is a setting in the software now to compensate for that latency?

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:51 pm

trevord wrote:
Huntlabs wrote:I went to Guitar Center today and tested latency on a Mac iMac, 002R, PT6.7, 44.1 / 24.

maybe there is a setting in the software now to compensate for that latency?
There is. PT will measure how many samples the audio region is off by, and there is a setting you can select that will compensate for it

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:37 am

twitchmonitor wrote:
wallace wrote:....
Just shift the processed track forward by the number of samples it's delayed by. For me it's been about 333 samples difference.
No, no. Sorry it's unclear. Here's what I want to do: Have a (1) stereo drum mix, and (2) a stereo COMPRESSED (with outboard compressor) drum mix. Since sending the mix out, say through 3 and 4, through a compressor, and bringing it back in on 3 and 4 is going to induce some latency, I was hoping that I could send the uncompressed stereo drum mix out say, 5 and 6 and then just bring it back on 5 and 6 in. Granted I'm going to degrade the signal in the D/A/D conversion, but I want a real-time latency solution for using an outboard compressor in this application.
you could also figure out what your latency is, duplicate the drum track, shift the 'dry' track backward by the latency amount, and patch the compressor across the second track, skipping the aux tracks and the extra DA/AD all together.

and yeah, the fact the protools wont deal with latency automatically is very 1997.

will