HELP! Seriously missing Audio Extractor & SoundApp in OS

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
BradG
pushin' record

HELP! Seriously missing Audio Extractor & SoundApp in OS

Post by BradG » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:38 pm

I would pay good money for OS-X versions both these apps, whose OS-9 incarnations were free. I've searched high and low and I can find nothing currently available that really nails what made these apps so useful. If anyone knows of anything PLEASE let me know. Do not recommend Quicktiime or Peak. Neither really does what these did so well. For those not familiar:

Audio Extractor came bundled with Toast and let you preview the waveform of the audio tracks on a CD. You could then select whatever PORTION of the CD track that you wanted extract to your hard drive (or the whole thing). You could also choose what the format of the resultiing audio file would be (mono/stereo/dual-mono; AIFF, SD2, WAV).

SoundApp was great for playing back mixes. You could leave an alias of it on your desktop. Dragging an audio file on to it launched the program, in the background, and immediatly started playback. If you dropped additional files on to it, they would play when the current track finished. Also great for browsing sample CD's. You could audition entire folders, then select just the ones that you liked for export to your hard drive (again, choosing the format). It did a bunch of other great stuff as well.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: HELP! Seriously missing Audio Extractor & SoundApp i

Post by sonikbliss » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:15 pm

You can do most of that stuff with ITunes. It's more limited (options wise) but works great nonetheless. And it's free.

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:20 am

the great thing about Soundapp is that when you drag & drop on the alias, you get a tiny window that pops up with the track info and a position slider and that's it. iTunes is great, but it's a bit much when you just want to hear one thing play and not have a brand new big ass window crowding your screen real estate.

plus, the batch conversion in Soundapp was just as elegant - quick and easy, dumped all your converted files in a folder for you, boom, done. i desparately miss that function, the interface/operation of Soundapp was very effective.

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:18 pm

Yeah, it's really all about the speed and streamlined abilities that both those apps brought to particular, repetetive tasks. Nothing (and especially not iTunes, which I'm afraid I find a bit irritating) matches that useability.